If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

So Congress is out of session

edited 2012-01-02 16:08:28 in General
Too bad, I wanted to see SOPA pass. Oh well.

Comments

• edited 2012-01-02 16:09:29
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Wait, WHAT?

Why?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    hahaha oh u
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Not sure if joking, trolling, or actually hates the first amendment...
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > Congress

laughtrack.wav
  • No rainbow star
    Huh?
  • Perhaps to set an example of a law that's never going to work in practice? Maybe as a punishment for the passivity of the current generation? Or because OP enjoys shitstorms?
  • Is it my fault that I want copyrights to be respected?
  • Well, yes, if that's your idea of respecting copyright.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    There's a difference between respecting copyright, and the whole government getting angry like a little kid and taking the ball home.

(the ball in this metaphor is the Internet)
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I'd agree with you, if the law punished the people disrespecting copyright, rather than punishing the place where they were standing when they did it.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Not to mention that wording of the law is so broad that it would mean the end of things like Let's Plays, and harshly punish stuff as innocuous as posting screenshots.
  • edited 2012-01-02 17:04:04
    Has friends besides tanks now
    So, what are the odds of this bill passing, do you guys think?
  • It's not your fault as much as it is the fault of capitalist rhetoric of big corporations brainwashing you into having said opinion. Information wants to be free, yo.
  • edited 2012-01-02 17:11:10
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^^From what I heard, pretty high, even with the massive public backlash.

My hope is that it'll get struck down by the Supreme Court if it gets passed.
  • edited 2012-01-02 17:20:02
    Whoops, I thought it was too late for the bill to be passed anymore. Didn't mean to troll when it being passed was still a possibility.

It's not your fault as much as it is the fault of capitalist rhetoric of big corporations brainwashing you into having said opinion. Information wants to be free, yo.

Silicon valley does the same thing but against the bill.
  • Yes, but they are in a chokehold by worker's unions. Information sharing is the first step on the way to a communist utopia.
  • edited 2012-01-02 20:14:57
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Wait how did we get derailed into economic philosophy

anyway

@Radd: Most people want copyrights to be respected.  However, SOPA/PIPA is not the way to do it.  SOPA/PIPA would actually leave pirates mostly unscathed while severely stifling the creative output of content creators, by making it much harder for new content to be promoted.

That, incidentally, is why the major media conglomerates support it--their stuff does not need to be promoted for it to continue to be successful, while new competition against their offerings is hindered.
  • Not to mention the way they're planning to do it undermines DNS security.  That alone should've shot the damn thing down on day one.
  • edited 2012-01-02 22:31:45
    I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.
    While I may be a liberal, this is one thing I'll be stagnant and conservative. Don't touch my Internet! 
    Oh my god I'm stealing that emoticon.

And wouldn't supporting the censorship thing be conservative, not liberal?
  • edited 2012-01-02 22:36:56
    I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.
    I have a magical land of emoticons for you, Forzare. (Just don't leech them. Use Imgur® for your macro-sharing needs!) e: It would help if I put the link here

And I guess I'm using the purely classical terms of liberal and conservative here, in that "conservative" means "resistant to change." But yes, neocons support this bill because it is in favor of large corporations. 

• Say, I have this friend who may think this is a good idea (I haven't asked him yet so I wouldn't know) because of the argument it allows publishers have their copyrights respected. I'll need valid counter-arguments if I'm going to debate him on this if you guys can provide any.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^It provides no punishment to the people disrespecting the copyright, instead shutting down any site where they go to post or link to copyrighted content.

And because of this, it's basically a way for anyone to shut down any site they don't like.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @ninjaclown: I wrote up a draft of several arguments here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13196849890A49260100&page=38#947

I plan on using this to pester Joe Lieberman('s staff) and Dick Blumenthal('s staff) when they(ir staff) return from vacation (are available during the regular season).
  • Glaives are better.
    I'm a neocon, and I and all of my neocon friends are firmly against this sort of thing.

We're against most regulations, remember? Free market, but with big guns?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    >2012
    >thinking GOP is for small government.
  • Glaives are better.
    They're on the left end of the Keynes-Hayek spectrum, but they're still firmly anti-regulation, at least in theory.
  • Champion of the Whales
    Won't SOPA create more tension between the United States and the European Union?
  • edited 2012-01-03 12:38:33
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Actually, calling the Republicans "anti-regulation" is much more accurate than saying that they support a free market.

They're just anti-regulation; they're fine with subsidies.  Why?  Because regulations make people less happy in the short run, while subsidies make them more happy in the short run.