If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

White privilege, male privilege, and related privileges

2»

Comments

• One of the weirdest things that's happened to me in college is that my friend group has suddenly switched from being mostly male to mostly female. Mainly because I have a lot more casual friends than I did in high school, my close friends (that is, basically my D&D group) are still 4/5ths male. But still, interesting.

Also, it is 95% of the time no different talking to a girl than it is talking to a guy. That 5% is when you're in a group of mainly girls and they start talking about things like nail polish. But they're not aliens; it's more like talking to a Canadian than like talking to a Martian.

That said, I still have not really figured how to ask a girl out (/start a romantic relationship, I don't mean literally ask a girl out somewhere), which although related seems to be a completely different conversation than making friends with someone. But this wouldn't change if I were asking guys out (actually probably would be a lot harder because over 90% of guys you come on to would reject you on grounds of "I'm not gay")

So, uh, that was quite rambly, so I hope my ramblings are interesting? Maybe?

• "it's more like talking to a Canadian"

Funny you should mention that. The feeling is reciprocal there.

• ...Are you from Canada, then?

• Champion of the Whales

Btw, I have a question

How exactly does John McCain's citizenship work because he was born in Panama

• He was born to two American citizens at a Naval hospital in a Naval Air Station in the Panama Canal Zone, which was under U.S. control at the time.

• edited 2012-02-10 16:57:19
    Loser

Whale,

I think the short answer is yes, Sen. McCain is a citizen since his parents were both U.S. citizens (it does not matter whether or not one is born in the U.S. for those purposes).

Where it gets a bit murky is whether he is a "natural-born" citizen (i.e., eligible for the presidency). Generally, the consensus seems to be that for all intents and purposes he is, since he was born on a U.S. military installation and there is little evidence to suggest that the framers of the Constitution did not intend such a birth to not count for the "natural-born" citizen requirement.

Edit, it looks like this post is a bit redundant because of Firebert's comments.

• Thanks for actually explaining the meaning of what I said, I wasn't sure which of those details made him a citizen.

• >It's not that big a deal to talk to girls.

Yeah, I know, it's not that I'm really as awkward as I'd expect someone to infer from the way I said that, it's just...

Like, the person being female sort of adds another dimension of consideration about how to interact socially. For instance, I worry about seeming too friendly or eager to interact with them to the point where that would imply romantic or sexual interest. It's not that there's anything about them that makes it harder to approach them if need be, at least not now that I'm an adult. In contrast, I think there's a mutual assumption of heterosexuality in most friendly male interactions, so there's not much of a concern for miscommunication. And even if I do interact with a guy who would be interested in me, I'm not concerned about hurting my chances for having any kind of romantic relationship with him.

Maybe to put it in a different way, if I ask some guy I don't know well if he wants to set up a time to hang out, there's not going to be any wondering about whether or not it's a date. That's not going to be the case for chicks, so it's easier for me to make friends with other guys and might be why friends of my friends are more often male. I suppose I might be overthinking it, but it's something that's on my mind regardless.

• Champion of the Whales

Sorry for the Mccain question but no one doubted him despite him being born outside the 50 states whereas Obama was born in Hawaii and more than a few people doubted Obama

• It's rather telling that they think Obama's place of birth should matter so much.

• ^ An older American friend of mine once claimed Barry Goldwater, who ran for the presidency in 1964, wouldn't have been eligible because he was born in part of Arizona that was still Mexican at the time. So McCain/Obama may not be the first time this has come up as an issue.  

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Obama's the first time it's been so big.

Don't pretend for a second the nonsense about his birth certificate would have happened with a white candidate. 

• ^ Oh, I agree, his race was the main reason it was used against him to such an extent, even if it's not the first time it's ever been used.