If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Smithsonian's video game exhibit

2»

Comments

• Here, "Target" includes a lot of shoot-em-ups and air combat games like Afterburner, but it also includes Goldeneye, while Doom II is located in the Action category. At the same time, Target also encompasses flOw and Flower. It doesn't make any sense.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I don't see the deal with the genre thing. Genres are nothing more than a heuristic for describing media. They don't really exist in any objective sense.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    On the other hand, genres are part of the cultural understanding of video games. "First person shooter" and "shmup" and "rail shooter" all have very different places in game culture. For instance, FPSes are a common mainstay of modern games and have been gaining strength since the mid-90s. Shmups are generally associated with indie titles or the heyday of the SNES and other 2D consoles. Rail shooters are few and far between on home console, with most of them being associated with arcades.

Yes, yes, "art" not "culture" but the two aren't unrelated constructs. If you wanted to separate out the art, though, there's good reasons to do that. An FPS is designed to be experienced from the character's point of view with free movement of both their position and facing, whereas a rail shooter gives very specific camera angles and positions within the game world. A shmup is different again entirely, being a third-person experience. All these factors are going to alter how the in-game entities and environments are designed from the drawing board all the way up.

"Target" is a good enough collective title for a layman, which this seems to be aimed towards. That said, how many laymen really exist? Games are commonly played by small children and the middle aged alike, and there's a niche market for gamers above that, too. Most people who'd really want to go to a gaming exhibition would already know the divisions .
  • You can change. You can.
    A genre should still help towards describing the media it classificates.

And what the hell do those games have in common, really
  • You can change. You can.
    Fucking alex.

That is all.
  • edited 2012-01-01 20:22:37
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    And what the hell do those games have in common, really

Fucking alex.
    I don't think they all include that.

Anyway, to clarify that statement, I do find those choices of categories and assignments to them odd; I'm just saying why I don't particularly mind.
  • edited 2012-01-01 20:25:19
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    "Target" seems to be a meta-genre name, to be honest.

"Target" is a good enough collective title for a layman, which this seems to be aimed towards.

Sorry, I couldn't help but notice the pun.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    And I thought I hid that one well! <_<