If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Fanisms

edited 2011-12-29 06:27:51 in Wonderful posts
Has there ever been a time when you liked a form of media so much that you found yourself picking up the habits of the characters in it?

Share your fanisms.

Comments

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    >
    Has there ever been a time when you liked a form of media so much that you found yourself picking up the habits of the characters in it?

This JBMs me so much when people do that.
  • edited 2011-12-29 06:57:57
    Diet NEET
    Habits, no. Catchphrases, dress ideas and attitudes, yes, but never from one single source all the time. Which I think is something that every person does, and is little different from people emulating said aspects in their celebrities or idols or whatever. Provided you don't go overboard and nick the idea not solely based on the person using/wearing it, I don't see much harm.

• They're somethin' else.
    Watching all seven commentaries of Fight Club made me suffer the Tetris Effect bad. I remember getting pissed off whenever I saw the Hot Topic logo or a Starbucks cup.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I grew my hair long because of heavy metal and I've copied a lot of the speech patterns of Jon Stewart.

Other than that I dunno.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I mimicked the walking and facial tics of Ledger's Joker for weeks.
  • edited 2011-12-29 13:23:58
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I initially grew my hair long because of heavy metal. Developed a beard because of lol medievalism -- luckily the two go together quite nicely, and if I don't feel like admitting to one thing I can admit to the other.

I've been casually giving myself some speech "therapy" (actually consisting of basic observation, analysis and alteration of my speech patterns) for the sake of clarity and sounding smarter than I actually am. One day, when I've got excellent control of my voice, I'd like to do a male equivalent of the Integra Hellsing voice.

My love of swordsmanship was inspired by all sorts of media concerning past time periods, but especially medieval and Renaissance. Epics, sagas, folklore, myths, fairy tales and modern stories alike.

Shortly after seeing Star Wars Ep.II in theatres, I picked up some Obi-Wanisms. Especially "perhaps", which I haven't dropped to this day.

Christ, that's a lot of stuff compared to you guys. ._.;
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    When I was a wee lad and a big fan of Power Rangers, I'd perk up any time the word "power" was used.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    What I love of knights is not their battle prowess but their chivalry. So I styled myself as a chivalric person for a couple years, good enough, Madass?

I also became interested in science because I loved Beakman's World.

Power Rangers made me want to be a hero.

I also love to emulate the mannerisms of Sebastian Michaelis.

Hmmmm...My interest in engineering was sparked by the Iron Man film.

I also want to graft sunglasses into human skulls./not serious.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    good enough, Madass?

Certainly. The moral aspect is the one to which all others are subordinate in a modern context. Functional swords aren't generally worn or used for self-defense or warfare, so their value is symbolic. After all, things aren't cool on their own; inspiring people make them that way, and we take them as an example.

I can only speak for myself, but in taking up the sword I chose my values. It wasn't about having the most efficient weapon in a modern context or being able to dominate others, but choosing a weapon that expressed the kind of ideals I hold myself to. I still want to be like someone out of a storybook, truthfully, and that's frankly the bottom line. The day I hang up my moral standards or my sword is the day I hang up the other.
  • You can change. You can.
    I mimicked the walking and facial tics of Ledger's Joker for weeks.
  • Good people don't end up here.
    I mimicked the walking and facial tics of Captain Jack Sparrow for weeks.

• I mimicked the walking and facial tics of Yoda for weeks hours.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    >When I was a wee lad and a big fan of Power Rangers, I'd perk up any time the word "power" was used.

Also after playing World of Warcraft, I've been forever transformed into a munchkin.
  • edited 2011-12-29 14:29:12
    ^ I read that as munchkin from Wizard of Oz, which is so much funnier.
  • a little muffled
    I'm pretty sure my tendency to do bizarre hand movements when I'm not sure what I'm saying started with Jack Sparrow.
  • edited 2011-12-30 16:34:05
    Erudite Meathead
    Coffee consumption skyrocketted since acquaintance with Vocaloid and Ace Attorney.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Which reminds me.

I started smoking around the time I started reading Hellblazer...
    It was Preacher/Bill Hicks for me.
  • edited 2011-12-30 19:54:51
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Holy shit Alex same here.
    ...Akex?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Phone typo.
    I know. I just like making edit things. 
  • Hmm
    Yes From Time To Time I Suppose Ive Experienced This
  • probably human
    I picked up a habit of saying "Shiny!" in place of "cool" from Firefly.
  • Good people don't end up here.
    I picked up a habit of saying "Shiny!" in place of "cool" from people I know who like Firefly.

Memetics, I can learns it.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I should name a character Akex sometime.
  • Thanks to Homestar Runner, I say "program" as "progrum". And there's probably a few other pronunciation changes that I can't remember right now.
  • My sister and I use lots of Michael Rosen quotes now, like "Hard luck!" and his laugh.
  • No rainbow star
    My sprite work is heavily influenced by Pokemon, if that counts?