If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The condescending attitude behind "Old Folks' Home"

edited 2011-03-15 17:14:44 in General
smote

From the "TVTropes Forum" article:

"The old farts sitting around on the porch talking while the kids play tag and chase the dog and have squirt gun fights in the yard (YF and most of the media threads). If the kids want to come over and join the conversation, the adults won't chase them away, but they are expected to be calm and behave."

Guh. I can understand that Yack Fest is not the most mature place, but there's no need to outright infantilize a group of 16-30 year olds just because they like memes.

More generally, there is a lot of this among the moderation. To an extent, this sort of feeling is probably inevitable when there's such a huge age gap between administration and userbase, though the lack of reflexivity about it compounds the problem. But it keeps getting expressed in such an ugly way. In particular, pretty much everything blackcat says is like this (no, the "adult" thing to do is to follow your own advice and take the time to understand the issue and why it bothers people). I don't think it counts as maturity if you're using your age as a bludgeon.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    We already have this thread.
  • edited 2011-03-15 17:18:46
    Because you never know what you might see.
    Actually, several of the mods are in their twenties.

And yes, I do think that paragraph is condescending.  No, we are not "playing tag and chasing the dog and having squirt gun fights in the yard".  I have no problem with any of those things; they sound like a lot of fun.  But that's not all that we're doing.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Yet everyone is so afraid to oppose the subforum in the actual subforum and go Do We Need This?

Also, blackcat generally has a sliver of superiority complex in her posts so, whatever.
  • Can we delete this thread? There's like, only three posts of conversation here. It can't be that much of a loss, and y'all can copy and paste.
  • I was going to agree with you, but then I remembered "Generic anime girl #4358974385974395 snuggling after sex".
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Kagami Hiiragi Snuggling After Sex was a non-indicative title.

And that was one thread.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Fuck #4358974385974395 . She is a bitch. She got  major character derailment during the baseball match arc too. Her sister #736609778687698764 is my waifu though.

Who would have thought they were created by the same Moe Characters Unit?
  • Unpopular opinions threads. And "Fapping to Kyonko makes you gay".
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    CLAMP characters > Gainax Characters
    Myrmidon, you're purposefully listing the dumbest threads.  There are a lot of other discussions on that forum.
  • I know, I'm mostly joking here. I get how this makes people angry but I can kind of see how you might want to get away from team Shitpost for a while, even if I do like those guys, usually.
  • I have doubts that Tomu's thread about his father's brain cancer contained any immature antics.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    That thread started in IJBM though
  • I'm not saying that all threads have immature antics, or even that most of them do.
  • Fair enough. Put the point I was making- that a serious discussion can still take place in Yack Fest if the topic calls for it- is still relevant.
    ^^^ This strikes me as rather ironic.
  • "And "Fapping to Kyonko makes you gay"."

Damnit, I was trying to forget about that one.

• edited 2011-03-16 01:47:43
    (nevermind)