If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I had an amazing dream last night...

edited 2011-12-27 11:12:39 in Meatspace
OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
...and I woke up at about 2 AM thinking "wow, that would make an amazing story, better than anything I've ever written. I'd better write it down!"

In the process of reaching for the lamp, I managed to fall asleep again.

And now all I remember from it are insignificant details that had nothing to do with the awesome story T_T

Comments

• edited 2011-12-27 11:15:35
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    dat feel

Give us the insignificant details. Perhaps we can reverse-engineer it?
  • You can change. You can.
    We can make it stronger. Faster. Smarter. 

It will be...the six million dollar story.
  • edited 2011-12-27 11:18:34
    Probably not, but what the hell.

There was a tower and a lake. And a bed. I don't think the lake had anything to do with anything, though.

...something about the line of succession, maybe?

^I hope not. That's a bit over-budget.
  • edited 2011-12-27 11:30:41
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    A tower sits upon the bank of a Welsh lake. It's old, turreted, and commands an excellent view of the surrounds; probably a fortified watchtower many hundreds of years ago. Whatever it once was, its interior has been fitted with modern comforts. The top floor is a combined study and bedroom, with a final set of stairs leading to a circular balcony just below the tiled roof. The interior's a little outdated, like a mid-20th century house trying to imitate Romantic comforts and architecture -- naturally, it's very charming.

There are books on astrology, metallurgy, folklore and mythology. Many of the books are dog-eared and tea-stained from years of contented reading in this secret place. But one book has pride of the collection, stored in an airtight case when not being read. Next to its case is a box of disposable gloves, and a book of hastily written notes in shorthand.

The book itself is Le Morte D'Arthur -- an original 1485 copy. The year in time is unknown, but everyone knows the world is ending because the dead speak and shadows flee their owners, never to be seen again except by accident.

If one were able to decipher the notebook, they would find it largely concerned with King Arthur, Excalibur, the line of succession and the prophesy, that in England's hour of need Arthur would appear again and save his people with sword in hand.

The one who lives here is on a mission -- a mission to save the world.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Is this an arthurian hijack?
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Sort of. More like an Arthurian sequel, potentially.

If you play it fantastically, Arthur indeed returns, Excalibur is recovered from the lake and he saves the UK and Ireland from nondescript wacky bullshit.

If you play it darkly, it's a story of well-meaning but pointless idealism that fails to live up to any amount of import.
  • edited 2011-12-27 11:37:49
    Not bad at all (seriously, that's pretty cool), but not it.

But on the other hand, I've recalled a few of the details where it differs from the dream.

The tower's in the middle of the lake. it's on a little island, with a bridge out to the mainland. And I think the bed's occupant was bedridden...and there might have been a butler...or a bodyguard, or maybe both?

And the tower was pretty fancy...hard to describe. It reminded me a bit of White Gold Tower from the TES games, only smaller, and with windows.

Hm. Either I'm totally wrong, or this is actually working.
    I'd prefer a Nibelungen hijack.
    > implying anything more than gratuitous Valkyrie sex scenes will come of that

^^ What purpose might the tower hold, and how fantastic does it imply the setting is? Might the tower be less of a functional tower in "current" time of the dream, and more like a very tall mansion?
    What about revenge and Atilla the Hun?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    YES. I think that's correct. More of a mansion-tower thing.

Not sure how fantastic the setting is...there might have been electric lighting...maybe?

And I think there was a crowd gathered on the outside of the lake at some point?
    ^^ Also, DRAGONSLAYING.

WMG: The tales of Arthur and Siegfried are somehow linked.

^ Okay, so there's a richly-furnished tower, a bedridden master and a minority of staff left. A crowd is gathered. My best guess is that it's an uprising against the master, who is being portrayed sympathetically via their illness and most of the staff possibly having fled.
    Possibly?

I dont think the crowd was really doing much. They were just kinda standing on the edge of the lake, talkingabout something...
    REVOLT!
    Well, all I can assume is that it had something to do with the tower and its occupants, for good or ill. It's just a matter of relating them.
    Hmmm...I shall think about it. For the moment, running some errands.
  • This feels so exciting. Perhaps I shouldn't get my hopes up...
  • No rainbow star
    Why did I not think of this with my dreams?

Heck, there is one awesome one I had which could use with reconstruction (although the dream is weeks old so it would likely be less effective. On the plus side I remember more of it that what INUH remembered of his initially)
    Okay, bumping this.

I'm pretty sure the crowd outside the tower was there because the old owner had died and the new one was talking over (and/or moving in?)
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    There was a tower and a lake.  The tower sat upon an island in the center of the lake.

A young man walking through a forest saw a light from the direction of the tower.  The time being night, and the young man being lost, he instinctively felt the need to go there.  It would be interesting.

He headed that way, through the night.  Unaware of why he was going there.  If you asked him, he wouldn't be able to say.

He would pass tree after tree, paying no mind to it at all.  He was singularly focused on the light.  After walking a while longer, he began to make out the shape of its container.  It was a tower.  This was definitely an interesting find.  His enthusiasm was renewed.  He began running.  He felt an energy charge through him as he began to run at full sprint toward the tower.

But then as he approached the lake, he realized how foolish he had been.  It was in the middle of an immense lake.  Swimming to it was out of the question, even if it were broad daylight--he'd tire of it before he made a tenth of the distance.  He had just run to this lake...except that that was all that was there.  He'd just run himself further into the forest, instead of finding his way out.