If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Wait, wouldn't it be more respectful to Jesus if Christians celebrated Hanukkah and not Christmas?

edited 2011-12-25 14:32:02 in Philosophy
No rainbow star
After all, if I recall, one of the last things he wanted was to be elevated to god status in people's eyes, and he seemed more the kind to want to reform his religion and not create a new one =/

Comments

• All I can say is this, and it's not even that relevant to what your OP actually says: Hanukkah isn't a very major holiday. I'm not very up on its history as a holiday in "modern" times (that is to say, the past few centuries), I just know that it's a celebration of a successful minor revolt and the small miracles that followed. There are so many other Jewish holidays that are more meaningful and, in the case of Passover, more related to crucial goings-on in the Old Testament.

Hanukkah was elevated to seemingly equal-to-Christmas status by a combination of mainstream American Christians, Reform Jews (which I am, for what it's worth) and marketing people in general to be politically correct and not make it seem like the Jews were being completely ignored around Christmas time. It hasn't been a particularly big deal in my family for years, and I think fewer Jews make a big deal out of it than Christians do of Christmas, in both the commercial and religious ways.
  • I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.
    What does Christmas still have to do with Christianity? ;)
  • You can change. You can.
    Yeah, Christmas is pretty much a secular celebration by now.

And you know what? I like it like that.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^^ Didn't know that

^^ , ^ Eh...
    Eh...?
  • No rainbow star
    Eh
    What I'm asking is: What do you mean with that?
  • No rainbow star
    Well, I just mean the whole core idea. These days you can celebrate Christmas without it even being religious, but the core idea of it just seems, "Wait..."
  • I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.
    *shrug* The Christians stole the holiday of Sol Invictus. So if you want the core of it, that's it. It seems only fair now it get it stolen from them by secular uses.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Which still means that, at it's core, it's insulting the main figures of the religion which is kind of funny now that I think about it...
  • edited 2011-12-25 16:42:42
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Secular uses are fine, economy is evil!/only 99% serious
  • Eh, it's still a religious holiday where we get lots of stuff to most of the people I know.
  • Yeah, everyone else also makes the valid point...

The most important Jewish holidays aside from Passover are basically just the celebration of the New Year and the day of atonement about ten (?) days later. (This would be Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur) But unlike Hanukkah, Passover, and Purim, they don't have awesome backstories! Not sure where this is going, but it's mostly true.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    You have a point. That is, if we take into account Real Jesus, not Symbol of Christianity Jesus. There is quite a gap between the two.
  • one of the last things he wanted was to be elevated to god status in people's eyes

My church believes in the Trinity, so, to us, he was God, so he would.
  • Good people don't end up here.
    You recall incorrectly. I'm curious what source material you draw your conclusions from.