If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The bible as word of God, but "X is allegory" and ignoring parts that don't fit modern sensibilities

edited 2011-01-10 01:48:42 in Philosophy
Pony Sleuth
Fuck, people. If you're going to do all this unpleasant shit in the name of religion, at least follow through with the stuff that doesn't hurt people.

Or better yet, have a better memory for the parts about being kind and charitable.

(Not directed at anyone here. We just needed to have a thread like this.)

Comments

• edited 2011-01-10 01:49:48
    RRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Also please hate figs.
  • This one was bothered by that too. Either all of the Bible can be considered as an allegory, all of it was fair for it's day but no more than that, or all it's parts are valid today. It seems somewhat counter-intuitive to, say, still consider statements against homosexuality valid but discount those concerning clothes.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    The orders for stoning were at point A, but were altered at point B because the situation changed. This isn't all that difficult. The situation changing doesn't mean God changed his mind, in fact it means that he planned ahead specifically so he could change things.

"It seems somewhat counter-intuitive to, say, still consider statements
    against homosexuality valid but discount those concerning clothes."

As far as commands go, getting them out of the NT is how things work, given my above statement.

"Or better yet, have a better memory for the parts about being kind and charitable."

People are quite ignorant and lazy, unfortunately. It's easier to draw picket signs than it is to give up everything you have and live among the poor in a foreign country.
  • In this case why they can't they be altered again today, for the situation has changed, and considerably so?
  • Leviticus was written for the use of the Levites, that is to say, the priests of the day, to use as their code of conduct. Not for the general populace. That's why it looks so strange and strict, also why it's so easily dismissed.

And then you get into the whole "old covenant" versus "new covenant" and that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
    Yes, if you look at Leviticus, you'll notice that particular commands (such as the stuff about bacon and shellfish that people often bring up) have the statement attached "unclean for you". Not God, but *you*. The meaning of this is simply that those particular commands were meant to keep said people healthy, not holy.

Other statements, however, refer to things as "an affront to the LORD". Those ones are still in full force.

Certain punishments are also altered, because the purpose of said punishments is to make an example. Once Christ comes along, the punishments are no longer necessary.
    "The NIV claims that God specifically hates me for daring to wear women's
    clothes. The others call me specifically abominable and abhorrent.
    Explain how Jesus coming along makes the supposedly all-loving God's
    hate okay. Does he still hate me for daring to do something that hurts
    no one?"

Homosexuality is indeed an item that is spoken of as abhorrent to God, unlike verses that talk about things which are abhorrent to us and our ability to stay alive. "Hate" is made OK through forgiveness, but that doesn't mean that it is suddenly OK to do what he says not to.

"Would you have been okay with my exile and/or death before Jesus?"

I can't truly answer this, as I'm not Jewish myself; all I can tell you is that I am glad to have been blessed with the ability to focus on forgiveness rather than judgment and punishment.
  • edited 2011-01-10 16:22:18
    OT dietary restrictions were one of those things we consider explicitly revoked by Jesus.

The context of the homosexuality ban in OT is exceedingly tricky and frankly we're not sure ourselves.  Modern concepts of homosexuality as a persistent psychological stance were relatively unknown, and it was seen instead as a symptom of reckless excess.  Couple that with the fact that a lot of cultures surrounding the tribes practiced homosexual acts as part of pagan rituals that God didn't want bleeding into the Israelites.  Suffice to say it's a lot more complicated than the "dudes don't lie with dudes" that tends to be the only thing people see out of it -- if it weren't we wouldn't have the occasional sect that was totally okay with it.