If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People who don't put commas in front of names

edited 2011-12-19 16:13:45 in General
probably human
...It just bugs me, okay?

Comments

• No rainbow star
    ...But you're not supposed to?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    You mean like if I was talking about ,Forzare and put a comma there?

I am confused.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    inb4 !Xobile
  • edited 2011-12-19 16:32:50
    probably human
    Like saying "Hey Bob" instead of "Hey, Bob."

...Unless I have somehow managed to get the grammar completely wrong...
  • No rainbow star
    I think your grammar may be a bit off

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Yeah, you don't need to put a comma here.

A comma goes where there is two syntactic units that share the same syntactic function- in this case, this would be the Subject.

For example-

"Hi Bob!" is correct.

"Hi, Bob!" is not correct.

"My partner Alice" would be incorrect.

"My partner, Alice" would be correct.
  • probably human
    Oh. Well, I guess my internal grammar-o-meter is faulty. >_<

Move along, move along, nothing to see here...
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    That said, if you do put a comma in front of there, it doesn't exactly sound wrong, so while technically it's incorrect, everyone will understand your meaning anyway.
  • edited 2011-12-19 17:57:08
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Dialogue's nice and flexible like that (assuming we're discussing greetings, of course). It ultimately doesn't make a huge difference in that circumstance.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Yeah just, put them where you, like!
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    uH,
  • No rainbow star
    !yoU ArE? suRe thiS, goOd idE'A?

...That was funnier in my head
    lAnGuAgE iS jUsT a BuNcH oF mOtHeRfUcKiNg mIrAcLeS bRo
  • probably human
    inb4 home-

W41T, TOO L4T3
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I aM tORgO! I wATcH tHE PlaCE wHILe tHE MasTER is aWay!
  • ^ I LOVED THAT EPISODE OF MST3000 AND I LOVE YOU
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Related: When transcribing song lyrics, I tend to put commas according to the music's rhythm rather than grammatical sense.

For example:

If you're lost, you can look, and you will, find, me...
    ...time af-ter time.

^^^ tHe MaStEr WoUlD nOt ApPrOvE

^ I do the same thing, usually.
  • probably human
    ^^

Same here.
  • That's silly.  Don't do that.