If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

MRAs

edited 2011-12-17 10:20:03 in General
Why do we need more rights again?

Comments

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    There are plenty of areas where men are disadvantaged, but so many of these MRAs go far beyond campaigning for equal rights, and just feel like they have some kind of ax to grind. 
  • edited 2011-12-17 10:42:10

There are specific, legitimate grievances. I have a colleague who's currently going through a custody battle with his ex-wife over his kids and the odds do seem very stacked against fathers in divorce cases in the UK. They probably won't get custody of the children and if the mother does there is a good chance that the father will lose touch with the kids eventually.

Having said that, most Men's Rights stuff is internet bullshit by self-pitying losers who probably alienated all the women in their life by their own misogyny. As a gender, women have to put up with far more crap than men do.

• You can change. You can.
    While MRAs are mostly people who use a flimsy excuse like some degree of discrimination against men as a way of justifying their misogynism, I'd say that we're still a long way from equality in terms of both sides. There are a lot of prejudices against both genders, due to various social expectations and blah blah you've read this before
  • As mentioned, paternity rights and cases of domestic violence and rape perpetrated on men are places in which men are suppressed too. Patriarchy is the same root cause, so these movements actually have coinciding goals with feminism, if not coinciding priorities.

Define the movement as a monolith or claim that their social goals have a lower priority and I won't even bother with a discussion.