If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"A University of Vermont fraternity has been suspended while school officials...

edited 2011-12-16 22:37:30 in General
You can change. You can.
investigate allegations that a survey was circulated among members asking them who they would like to rape"

why

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    wat
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Link?
  • It's like TVTropes in real life. 

Yeah, a link would be nice.
  • edited 2011-12-16 22:48:53
    Tech support
    Here is a link

I'm glad the college is doing something about it, yeah I really need the SA barf smilie here.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    >fraternity

I'm not as surprised as I feel I should be.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    At first I assumed this was some sort of 
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    At first I assumed this was some sort of hazing bullshit, but... wow. that's just fucking retarded.
  • This is pretty sick stuff (that should go without saying).

It also amuses me that the fraternity has its own website and goes on about developing balanced men (perhaps by making sure they always have an equal amount of change in each pocket). I thought fraternities were clubs in which male students drank too much, dicked around and enhanced their social status by hanging around with rich kids, not some kind of moral crusade. 

• BeeBee
    edited 2011-12-17 03:26:17
    Every fraternity ever will have a website that says pretty much the same thing.  Every once in a while a local chapter will bother living up to the whole busting your ass for brotherhood thing, but for the most part not being a glorified drinking club will actually crimp your recruitment.  Most of your prospective recruits are douchebags who expect and perpetuate Animal House, and the rest tend to figure out that fraternities offer very little that you can't get from social circles you don't have to pay dues to.  I speak from experience.

Rich, not really so much anymore.  With dues, rent, and food put together, it was about the same as if I'd roomed off campus and wasn't in a fraternity (the rent was really, really cheap).

Stuff like the OP...greatly depresses but really doesn't surprise me.  Both campuses I've been to have had about two houses that were absolute festering hives, and every other house on campus knows exactly who they are.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
  • edited 2011-12-17 05:31:55
    Diet NEET

Wow, classy.

Curious as to how exactly the survey was formulated, which I hope will appear in follow-up stories. A checklist of famous people? An essay on how they would go about the crime? Edit: Ninja. That was rather basic.

I'd also step up to defend the idea of a frat, but the difference between the American and the Dutch model is so large that I really don't need to bother.

• What the hell are fraternities for, exactly? I mean, what are they supposed to do other than just turn individuals into groups for the sake of doing so?
  • You can change. You can.
    The idea behind fraternities and sororities seems to be the idea of socialization and creating contacts and connection. That and relatively cheaper housing, from what I've heard.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Answered your own question.
  • You can change. You can.
    There's that too, but you didn't need to tell him. :p
  • Meh, for the same purpose as any socially organized group. Aside from that, cheaper alcohol than bars, more handy facilities especially if you're a student who needs to travel every day, the possibility to gain work skills by doing committee/board functions, and lots of other small things.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-12-17 16:54:32
    Fraternities often do volunteer work too, which looks really, really good on resumes.  Also it's fun to be night security with a walkie-talkie.

Work contacts is...shaky.  A few decades ago it was definitely the case, but mine got utterly left out to dry by all but about five of the alumni, none of whom were employers.  The only one who got anything resembling a work contact out of it was the one who was the liaison to nationals and already doing half their desk work.

Really, a group to plan large-scale parties and a building big enough to hold it is like 80% of what people get out of it at the moment.
  • They're somethin' else.
  • Not surprising, really. I remember how all the frats and sororities on campus put on this big dog and pony show about being all about strong moral values and voluteer work..Until rush week ended. Then it was basically listening to them discuss who they slept with at saturday night parties.
  • Heh, exact opposite happened in Oregon.  They got their recruits by being pretty overt about what they were about, then scaled it back in the middle of the year to keep the IFC off their backs.
  • British universities don't have fraternities or sororities in the same way (I think they do exist in continental Europe). The nearest equivalent are drinking societies, which are pretty blatantly all about, well, drinking, although at some of the older universities some do have undertones of privilege, having been educated at elite schools and so on.

David Cameron was in the Bullingdon Club at Oxford, which is basically posh boys drinking to excess, smashing stuff up and paying their way out of trouble, and you wouldn't believe the amount of flak he's taken for it. Of course, George Bush used to get criticism for having been in the Skull and Bones at Yale, so maybe that's not so different.