If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Folk Metal

edited 2011-12-14 19:42:01 in IJAM
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
I really wish it had caught on. Even underground metal stations almost never play it. You'd think at least bands like Alestorm would have a wider appeal if only for kitsch value.

For example:

Comments

• probably human
    Folk Metal can be pretty awesome, and I love Alestorm, but a lot of the bands are too death-metally for my tastes...
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Often I don't mind the death metal voice what with being an Opeth fan, but there's also stuff like Falconer and Cruachan that don't engage in it that much.

• I suppose you have a point, since I didn't know folk metal was a thing before now. The only "folk metal" band I knew was Alestorm.
    I can't think of a more famous one, unless you want to be really insistent that Blind Guardian count which I would disagree with.
  • probably human
    Yeah, Blind Guardian is more power metal/symphonic metal, anyway.

I also love Falconer, though I don't really see how they're folk metal...
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ Individual songs, perhaps.
  • edited 2011-12-14 21:21:13
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Really? They call themselves Folk metal.

^Yeah, I could see stuff like Nightfall or The Bard's Song being considered so but that's not reflective of all their music.
  • probably human
    I've only really listened to their first album on Last FM, which to be seems like pure power metal.
    A lot of their later stuff has a lot of folk stuff in it, minus the gravel which you've said you aren't fond of.  Check it out.
  • a little muffled
    Related: I just listened to From Afar by Ensiferum. Good shit, if not quite as good as the first two albums.

• I feel no folk metal discussion would not be complete without some moonsorrow. Warning black metal vocals. 
  • Not really a big folk metal fan, but I love Primordial and Agalloch.