If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I CANNOT live another day without air conditioning!

edited 2011-12-14 00:20:31 in Wonderful posts
Yesterday you said you'd call Sears!

Comments

• No rainbow star
    TAKE OUR COLD! PLEASE!
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    CA's referencing an old commercial.

/spoilsport
  • No rainbow star
    ...CENTRAL PLEASE TAKE OUR COLD ANYWAYS!
  • Sorry, I didn't quite hear - what was that you said about "First World problems"?

(To be fair, I get the impression that the climate in parts of the US makes air-conditioning either a necessity or at least very desirable. Over here, it's unusual in private homes).

People have died from the heat as far north as Philadelphia. In places like Florida it is indeed a necessity.
  • In very hot summers, that has also happened in the UK. If global warming gets significant enough, we may be wanting air-conditioning too.

and then higher emissions will cause even more environmental problems! =D
  • No rainbow star
    ^ HOORAY!

...Wait, not hooray... Boo! D:
  • ...You know, I never really thought about it before, but if that couple can afford to just call and have Sears install a central air system, why the hell didn't they do it, y'know, before it got so "unbearably" hot? Is the man just that lazy? And why couldn't the woman just call Sears herself?
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Because COMMERCIAL
  • WELL "PEOPLE WHO BUY AIR CONDITIONERS FROM SEARS ARE STUPID" ISN'T A VERY GOOD MESSAGE FOR YOUR COMMERCIAL, IS IT
    You assume people who listen to commercials make actual logical conclusions.
  • edited 2011-12-14 02:28:40
    No rainbow star
    ^^ MAYBE IT IS!
  • I don't know the advert in question (Sears don't operate in the UK) but it is pretty standard for any advert aimed at women to try to curry favour with the audience by portraying husbands/boyfriends as idle and bumbling incompetents.

An advert for air conditioning might be aimed at women as "homemakers". In spite of all efforts at equality, it does still tend to be women who get most exercised about getting new furniture, a new kitchen, new carpets and so on.

The thing that I always found hilarious, however, was that laxative adverts only ever seem to feature women. There was one in the UK that was basically a Sex and the City rip-off, with these glamorous women sitting around in a restaurant talking about constipation. It was bizarre.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    >The thing that I always found hilarious, however, was that laxative adverts only ever seem to feature women. There was one in the UK that was basically a Sex and the City rip-off, with these glamorous women sitting around in a restaurant talking about constipation. It was bizarre.

It really was wasn't it, I mean swapping constipation stories over a coffee :/
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    People have died from the heat as far north as Philadelphia. In places like Florida it is indeed a necessity.
    Yeah, honestly, having lived in Alabama and Georgia, I consider AC a form of life support system.
  • ^^ Whilst I appreciate that groups of women will sometimes discuss private stuff that an all-male group probably wouldn't, I still don't buy them having a big conversation about their poo in a public place.
  • edited 2011-12-14 15:45:20
    Loser
    Captainbrass,
    I don't know the advert in question (Sears don't operate in the UK) but it is pretty standard for any advert aimed at women to try to curry favour with the audience by portraying husbands/boyfriends as idle and bumbling incompetents.

I guess the funny (or actually quite unfortunate) thing is that I feel like a lot of commercials, in the U.S. at least, aimed at men are actually pretty similar in that respect. Any of the numerous "man likes his beer more than his girlfriend/wife" or "man cares more about sports than relationships" or "man has trouble communicating with girlfriend/wife" ads come to mind.

Maybe those kinds of ads are less common than I think they are and they just come on more often during football games, but portraying your target audience as inconsiderate and selfish seems like an odd strategy to me.
  • ^ Yes, for some reason the Aussie brewers like Fosters and Castlemaine 4X seem keen on that sort of advert. Unfortunately, there are genuinely some men who act like that, which gives legs to the stereotype.