If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When several Smash Bros related board flame war on and on about Tech Hit vs. Ukemi

edited 2011-12-10 11:34:37 in IJAM
They're somethin' else.
This is more of a "you had to have been there" kind of thing, but I'm sure this debate will still rage on if someone just to happens to mention either name of the same fighting game concept.

So fucking stupid XD

Comments

• What do these terms mean? I read the second as Okami for a bit.
  • In Super Smash Bros., a Tech Hit or Ukemi is when you hit the shield button just before hitting the ground, causing you to roll and immediately get up rather than, like, be lying on the ground.

(also Ukemi is totally the better name... >.>)

• Tangentially related, it reminds me of my computing class tests and how often, whenever I see a question involving defining a term, my gut instinct is "Who cares what you call the thing? All people are going to care about is if you know how to use it." I wouldn't be surprised if the same people complaining about this felt this way about their classes as well (since I've found that gamers tend to go into computing classes), and if so, that would be quite ironic.
  • Having played Viewtiful Joe, I can honestly say "ukemi" got the point across to me much more easily. And "hit" sounds more suggestive of some kind of attack.

But fighting over which term is better is kind of silly.