If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Does "cute" media make you nicer ?

edited 2011-12-09 13:28:56 in General

Although in many ways I'm quite cynical, I can see the charm of some media that relies heavily on cuteness - certain anime, Western cartoons like My Little Pony, websites like Lolcats, and so on. But does liking that kind of thing do any good for you as a person? Is it possible for someone to become less cynical or nasty through "D'aw"-ing over fluffy animals/moe princesses? Or do you just end up with the worst of both worlds - someone who's nasty to the people they know but sentimental about imaginary, often non-human characters?

Invoking Godwin's Law, it reminds me of Heinrich Himmler, the Nazi SS leader, who whilst planning the Holocaust used to rant about what a jerk Herman Goering was because he cruelly hunted the harmless animals that Himmler loved. A more modern example would be the crazy old recluse who hates the human race but loves his/her cat.

Comments

• edited 2011-12-09 13:30:33
    Media preferences determine empathy just as well as intelligence. (in other words, not at all)
  • I could name names, but I'll just say that there are people who like cute cartoons that I do not consider good people.
  • edited 2011-12-09 13:46:14
    If cute things make you nicer then the "Kittens" page on ED wouldn't exist.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    ^ What is in that page? Is it like Offended?
  • ^^ A lot of places on the internet that have a reputation for being wretched hives also have a sentimental streak for cute stuff. 4-chan is another example.
  • edited 2011-12-09 14:50:23
    Loser
    captainbrass,
    Is it possible for someone to become less cynical or nasty through "D'aw"-ing over fluffy animals/moe princesses?

I think it is worth separating out the "moe princesses" portion of what you said, if only because I feel like the appeal of "moe stuff" is often the "I want to protect him/her" aspect more than the "aw, how cute" part. At least, that is how I have heard other people talk about the "moe" aesthetic. It is probably fair to say that people far too often lump in anything that is cute with "moe" though.

I mostly agree with Abyss_Worm about this subject. To go from the other side, there are plenty of people who are both caring and kind and really enjoy horror movies even though they are usually as far from "nice" things as one can probably imagine.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-12-09 14:50:38
    ^^ As is prison.  Child abusers tend to get shanked pretty quick.
  • They're somethin' else.
    If I've known both internet and real life bronies, I can safely say that they're... facepalmingly dickish, so no.
  • I think the cuteness appeal of animals is also tied to a desire to nurture/protect. There's a reason it's difficult to kill cute things.
  • "To go from the other side, there are plenty of people who are both caring and kind and really enjoy horror movies even though they are usually as far from "nice" things as one can probably imagine."

Generally, the reason why nice people like morbid things: catharsis.

• ^^ I've never had any problem with any bronies I've met online, although I can imagine a whole website of them is perhaps not for those who aren't committed. There was a fairly well-publicised article including comments by an autistic man who felt MLP fanhood had helped him, but that was in terms of his social skills rather than his moral character.

• edited 2011-12-09 15:34:57
    In general, I find it quite annoying that bronies act like watching My Little Pony automatically makes them experts on what it's like to be a girl or constantly have to flaunt that they're watching a "girl's show." Loads of people watch stuff outside their target demographic, yet are nowhere near as attention-begging about it. In fact, this only reinforces the notion that doing so is "wrong" and they end up looking less secure about their tastes, particularly since a lot of the flaunting is pre-emptive.
  • edited 2011-12-09 15:44:36
    They're somethin' else.
    ... MLP isn't girly. Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.
  • edited 2011-12-09 15:47:06
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^^I agree with this statement very much. (I was watching girly cartoons before it was cool, maaaaan) It's a ridiculously self-aggrandizing thing to do. You're not bucking gender traditions by watching My Little Pony anymore than I am by liking Princess Tutu or not liking football.

Oh god, that list. It's full of people going 'LOOK I'M TOTALLY STRAIGHT AND MANLY BECAUSE I PLAY GEARS OF WAR SO DON'T CALL ME A FAG FOR LIKING PONIES' as well.

^I've seen little of the show, but I suspect it stopped being so when the writers became aware of the sizable male fandom.
  • My relatives back east and some of my friends now think I'm a weirdo for liking the show, and I like self-deprecating humor, so I don't think it's out if bounds for me to joke about it.
  • Abyss_Worm - I don't think that's unique to bronies. You also get that with some anime fans who think they're practically Japanese or white fans of hip-hop who think that they really understand the ghetto. And that's just two examples. Really you could spin off a separate thread on fans who are a bit deluded about the extent to which they now have insight into...something.
  • Does

>Do

Alas, I think it makes one nicer in a fake, posturing way, a path of glomps and wearing too much pink.
  • As my friend put it eloquently: "That asshole who made my life hell in Junior High school who just happens to like Moe doesn't change the fact that he's that asshole who made my life hell in Junior High school."
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^Your friend was asking for it. >:|

Seriously though, saying that some who likes cute media is going to be nicer is like saying someone who likes Batman is going to be a hypercompetent badass.
  • Any show's message is only as good as how you interpret it. And even then, I believe most people just treat it as "Oh, that's a nice message." Real-world experience tends to be a much greater factor in changing behaviour.
  • ^^Well, some people who watch Batman probably try to be, and it's a lot easier to succeed in being nice.
    If being nice were easy, everyone would do it.
  • It isn't hard, I just don't want to do it.

Really though, I was just responding to hyperbole with a devil's advocate. It's obvious that you can't instantly will yourself a competent badass.
  • edited 2011-12-10 00:10:59
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    "Manning a mission to Mars isn't hard. I just don't want to do it."
  • I should probably be worried about you.
    Probably. I just had to clean a chainsaw for yardwork today and I'm kind of depressed.
  • In general, I find it quite annoying that bronies act like watching My Little Pony automatically makes them experts on what it's like to be a girl or constantly have to flaunt that they're watching a "girl's show."

I confess that when I started watching the show, I was motivated, in part at least, by a desire to say "LOOK AT ME, I'M SO GIRLY"...like I kinda did with everything back then.

Thankfully I grew out of that, and it turned out I just genuinely enjoy the show.
  • «... MLP isn't girly. Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.»

If My Little Pony isn't girly, then the term has lost meaning.
  • They're somethin' else.
    If the author admitted to it being open to much more demographics, then it's merely eccentric.
  • The show is girly according to several cultural standards, liking it doesn't make you a girl.