If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

[Writefaggotry] The Shieldmaiden

edited 2011-12-08 05:21:43 in General
Glaives are better.
(Because I can't sleep, and I don't want to study.)

We have something big in common. And it's driving us apart.

You see, my friends and I are all geeks, and we decided to play World of Warcraft as a way of keeping in touch. We've been playing for about a month now, and we've had a lot of fun. Problem is, there are only around eight of us playing, and we need more in order to do raids. So I've been recruiting people from around campus. Last night I came up to the dreaded one's room and invited her roommate and her to join us.

Her roommate - let's call her Tammy - was initially reluctant, but when I informed her that she still owed me for that pizza I bought her she caved in and admitted that it sounded fun and that she needed to pay me back anyway. 

When I turned to Sarah, my best used car salesman grin was beginning to hurt my face. I saw she was already smiling shyly at me.

"How would you like to join us over winter break?" I asked, trying to get my teeth to sparkle. I don't think it worked.

"Skyrim," she murmured, her smile widening.

I knew that I'd lost already, but I managed to press on. "You'll have plenty of time for both WoW and Skyrim," I promised, a thin sheen of sweat forming on my forehead. Behind me, I heard Tammy stifle a laugh.

"Skyrim," Sarah repeated, her voice rising in volume to something that might be heard over a ceiling fan. I was surprised; to her, that was almost like a shout. 

Tammy came to my aid. "But you'll have fun with your friends!"

"But Skyrim." Her smile became wicked. She was toying with me. She was a deceitful old bitch; I could see it now. I should have anticipated it, considering how she fights. 

Sarah's technique is flawless. Her movements with a blade in her hand are swift, precise and almost mechanical. When she swings her sword, it's like an artist's brush dancing on a canvas; you can't help but stop and admire her craftsmanship as she works, even though you might get red on you. 

It isn't just that she's masterful with a sword, either. I'm not too shabby myself, although my style relies a bit more on brute strength and speed than formalized training. What really makes her dangerous is that she shows no weakness. I once stabbed her in the chest and she didn't even flinch. She can block, half-sword and spar all day without missing a step or displaying a flicker of tiredness. I think I saw her sword tremble once after we'd been sparring for a good half hour, but there was blood in my eye so it might have just been me.

Sarah's perfect at maintaining appearance. Oh, she may seem shy, with her reserved charm and quiet demeanor, but she's like an iceberg; the surface is just the tip of what's going on underneath. Below water she's calculating and cold and ruthless and strong, and like an iceberg she's probably dangerous to seafaring vessels, with her being a woman and all. And on a foggy day, you have to be looking for her to see her coming, or else she just breezes by. I'd love to get inside her head, although I'm terrified I'd never be able to get out.

I mentally backpedaled. It was no  use overanalyzing things; she probably already knew everything about me and was reading my thoughts anyway. We'd fought each other long enough to recognize each other's weak points and favorite strategies, and she knew mine; go in hard, strong and hope that the other fighter gave out before I did. 

"If Skyrim had multiplayer, we'd play it with you. But right now, WoW is the best way for us to stay in touch and have fun together over the winter," I explained. "What do you say? It's on sale now."

She made a show of thinking it over, then rolled her eyes. "Skyrim," she decided. "But I'll think about it." Her wicked smile returned, a bit stronger this time.

I grinned. "That's all I ask."  I paused, then rephrased. "Well, actually, I'm asking that you join us, but you know what I mean." As I followed Tammy to leave, I caught a glimpse of Sarah, smiling to herself and drawing a delicate finger down the spine of her chemistry textbook. I wondered if I'd meet anyone like her ever again.

Comments