If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People with reservations on language

edited 2011-03-14 13:42:31 in Philosophy
CRIMINAL SCUM!
You know, the kind that look at you funny when you stub your toe and you grunt "Fuck." cause it hurts.

My DM called me awhile ago and said two of the other party members had trouble with the way I was loose with my words last session.

Now I'm more then willing to try to cull my language for the sake of amenity. I have a fun time with these people and I wouldn't like to bad feelings between everyone over a few words. But damn do I think it's bullshit.

What's the horrific offensiveness of a word if it isn't directed at you, or in a derogatory manner? So I stub my toe and say "Fuck"? Why should you care? It's not like I'm saying "Fuck you man!" Hell, I could make insulting remarks without including profanity. So what's the point of getting riled up over someone's language if it isn't directed? You're only making yourself upset by getting all puritanical.

The problem is I will inevitably have a difficult time remembering to keep my language in check. Saying curses is just my nature, I do it so offhanded I don't even realize.

Comments

• Say "Farfignoogen". (Don't)

I never understood it either, as you say, it's more about the sentiment of what you say than the words you use.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    What does "farfignoogen" mean?
  • This one prefers not to swear and thinks that such words should be reserved for special ocassions, not for every minor misfotrune. But there are situations in which swearing is the only adequate reaction.
  • I agree with the OP.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    The point of swear words is to be offensive.  It's kind of dumb to make a big deal out of them regardless of context, but if people weren't offended by "fuck", people wouldn't generally say "fuck" when they stubbed their toes.
  • Err what. I've never yelled "Fuck" to be offensive to someone else after banging my toe.
  • http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1910691,00.html

tl;dr: There's scientific evidence that swearing helps you cope.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    ^^ No, probably not.  But why do you say "fuck"?  Why not "sex" or "shag" or "fornicate"?  Why, for that matter, would you say any of those things when they have nothing to do with stubbed toes?
  • edited 2011-03-14 14:34:54
    It's also interesting that I attended a lecture by a guy who was in charge of film classifications- He said pretty much the same thing, that they rated language based more on malice rather than the strength of the words used. It's interesting that film classifiers seem to hate censorship as much as everyone else, it was pretty cool.

Swear words are abstract. No-one really says "fuck you" literally. It's just a more emotive way of telling someone to piss off.

I mean... To go away.

EDIT: They're stronger than those other words because of the taboos of society. If we said them too much, they probably would lose thier impact, it's true.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    LOL FIRST AMENDMENT
  • ^^^ Question answered ala ^^^^
  • Wonder where the film classifiers would put George Carlin's seven words routine.
  • edited 2011-03-14 16:43:42
    Well, they showed a scene that had a lot of swearing in it but no actual malice (It was from Curb Your Enthusiasm) And it got a 12 certificate, which was something.

He was also the guy who rated Gurren Lagann, and he mentioned how Episode 6 was one of the hardest to classify things he's ever seen, which is how it ended up in his presentation. That one was unexpected but it was interesting since I sometimes wonder what the classifiers make of that sort of thing.
  • edited 2011-03-14 16:48:08

• Right person, wrong post, randomtropeloser. :)
  • edited 2011-03-14 17:49:24
    Because you never know what you might see.
    @CommandoDude: If they weren't offensive, they wouldn't be taboo.  If they weren't taboo, they wouldn't be swearing.  If they weren't swearing, they would not be nearly so effective as a stress reliever.  As noted in the article Gelzo linked, only words with strong negative emotions attached were effective.

It's basically why you don't tend to hear people cursing by saying "blimey", "poppycock" or "gadzooks" anymore.  They used to be offensive words, but when they lost their power to shock they fell out of favour.