If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Songs of Mongrels

edited 2011-12-06 04:31:26 in Liveblogging
I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
What is this blog?
Basically just to showcase the songs that appear in each episode of Mongrels as they are very well written a funny.

What is Mongrels?
Currently in it's second series.

NelsonThe only wild fox in East London with subscriptions to all the major broadsheets (excluding The Sunday Times), Nelson is, as he never tires of introducing himself at dinner parties..."An urbane fox!"

Marion: He's been abandoned by a lot of owners, thrown into a lot of canals, ditched in a lot of lay-bys, left in a lot of very stuffy, very locked cars.

It's probably because of his deep-rooted abandonment issues that Marion clings so tightly to his good friend Nelson. Frankly he needs all the paternal guidance he can get. A simple (some may say 'borderline retarded') soul, Marion is nothing if not highly corruptible.

Vince: Potty-mouthed sociopath Vince is everything Nelson is not. He's a REAL fox. He's a PROPER wild animal. He's a red-blooded chicken-eating homicidal PREDATOR. As a consequence some of his eBay feedback is frankly appalling.

Destiny: At heart, angel-faced perfectly groomed pedigree Destiny is just a sweet teenage romantic. And like all sweet teenage female romantics, she has the dead-eyed psychotic ruthlessness of a freelance Serbian assassin when it comes to getting what she wants.

Kali: Grey feathers, red legs, black heart. Kali is a spiteful, petty, vindictive, s***ty little bird with a small beak and a big voice. In fact there's only one thing in life she enjoys more than revelling in other people's misfortune, and that's causing other people's misfortune and then revelling in it a bit afterwards (like maybe over some coffee and a bagel from the bins near Pret).

I will properly start in the next post with the song from Series 1 Episode 1.

Comments

• This series is on Hulu, by the by. Or at least the first three episodes are.

I'll add that some lines of one of the songs are funnier if you replace "chickens" with "ponies".
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^
    Yes 3 episodes are on Hulu for any US people.

Only if you love ponies a lot Gelzo.
    Series 1 Episode 1

What a Difference a Day Makes

About the Song:
    'Marion falls for the beautiful Lollipop. The trouble is, Lollipop is only three weeks and six days old... and as everyone but Marion knows, the legal age for dating is four weeks.'
  • Um, I believe that's episode 3.
  • edited 2011-12-06 11:33:25
    Yeah so do I personally.
    However the BBC lists it on their DvD and website as episode 1.
    *shrug*

Edit:
    It looks like they showed them out of of sequence a lot, I can only guess that certain current events may have influence that?

Oh well it doesn't matter when listing the songs.
  • "Certain current events"?
    Yeah, I have no specific ones in mind myself so I made it sound general, as it isn't unheard of for Tv shows to reschedule a bit due to events at the time.
  • Now that I think about it, it might make more sense for Marion to have a romantic subplot chronologically after events in the first episode.
    Series 1 Episode 2

What Kind of God?

About the Song:
    Kali's old partner in crime has been converted to Christianity, so she tries to make him revert back to his old ways.
  • Why are we the only participants in this thread?
    Other IJBMers just aren't as cool I guess.
  • Can I blame finals and terraria for my lack of posting.
    Yes, you are now in the 'Cool IJBMers' category.
  • edited 2011-12-08 17:07:41
    Series 1 Episode 3

Everybody Loves a Lesbian

About the Song:
    Kali chats up and kisses a crow then finds out that she kissed a female lesbian crow (as there are no external indicators of sex), the lesbian crow tries to persuade her to 'come out'.
    Series 1 Episode 4

Fuck the Chickens (Song starts at about 0.50)

About the Song:
    Nelson ends up dating a chicken after using an internet to set up a date.
    Vince doesn't like them and the song pretty much parodies the anti immigrant stuff you hear from the EDL and BNP.
  • Those acronyms are unfamiliar to Americans, by the way.

(Faaaawk ponies.)
    English Defence League: EDL basically massive racists who hate immigrants, not a political party but a protest movement.

British National Party: BNP see above but a political party.
    Series 1 Episode 5

There isn't actually a song for this episode, Nelson is just starting to sing one to Destiny but her owner pulls her away.
    Series 1 Episode 6

Breaking up is such a Faff.

About the Song:
    Nelson is at the dump when he spots a foul vixen, but she is on heat and so he is crazy for her.
    She apart from being very 'feral' is also his sister, he ends up marrying her against all the better advice but the morning after she comes off heat and he is too much of an emotional coward to really break up with her.
    Series 1 Episode 7

Middleclass is Magical

About the Song:
    (The song is even more middle class being performed at the BBC comedy proms.)
    Nelson converts some rough youths to behaving middle class.

(Also ITV is the third channel on UK TV, regarded as some as crass and beneath them.)
  • Once finals are over this week, I need to find a way to watch the whole show.
    There are probably torrents about, I'm not sure myself though.
    If you can somehow use BBC iPlayer you might be able to catch the most recently broadcast episode.
  • edited 2011-12-15 11:32:05
    Series 1 Episode 8

Ugly Women Are Beautiful Too

About the Song:
    Destiny is doing some photoshoots for a doggy calendar, and she is a bitch.

That is all from Series 1.
    Sreies 2 Episode 1

Just A Little Tap On The Nose

About the Song:
    Destiny is turned down by a male dog and so resorts to violence to get him and control him.
    Sreies 2 Episode 2

Die Evil Zombies!
    The song is actually sung by Richard O'Brien (the guy who wrote The Rocky Horror Show and was in the film adaptation).

About the Song:
    Destiny is on heat and trapped in her owner's pub by lots of horny male dogs, who are a bit zombie-like.

Series 2 Episode 3

Immigration Nation

About the Song:
    Nelson sings about immigration to the UK, although the last verse changes the meaning.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    As soon as you are legal aliens/
    You are better than Australians

Oi. >:|

^
    Hehehe.

Series 2 Episode 4

The I'm a **** song.

About the Song:
    Vince admits in song that he is a ****.