If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Therapists

edited 2011-12-02 10:16:08 in General
You can change. You can.
They're not bad or anything, but sometimes I feel that I'm wasting my money in something rather inconsequential. 

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    That feel.

I hear from some people that getting therapy is a really good idea, but it did little for me, so I suppose it's a personal thing. All the same, you're probably best off augmenting therapy with some form of medication. Cymbalta's a pretty good antidepressant. It takes a couple of weeks to kick in, though. On the other hand, the occasional nausea hurt my sleeping patterns and my capacity to climax was pretty badly hurt.

I guess I'd advocate combining therapy and medication. When you've improved to an extent where you're solving problems, you might be able to take the meds down a notch, or even give them up entirely.
  • I'm wary of medication. How do you know that it's safe even after the side effects? And doctors tend to prescribe it a lot even when you don't need it, which is of course bad.

As for therapy, it depends on how willing both the therapist and the patient are to listen to each other.

• edited 2011-12-02 10:28:34
    You can change. You can.
    Heh, I guess I should have elaborated more. >_>

Well, my problem seems to be that, well, during my sessions, I don't seem to be having much of a problem, you know? But I reallly feel like I need a therapist. Or at least, someone who I can talk to about how I feel about...well, many things and someone who can advise me. But I've yet to be diagnosed with, say, depression or OCD or anything that needs meds.

unless there are meds for Asperger. Which would be weird, considering it's a congenital disorder.

As for your case, I'd say that therapy doesn't solve everything and everybody needs different approaches. Not to mention that it also depends on the therapists. Some are amazing and helpful, others...well, not so much. And I guess that you're right about medifcation (Provided, of course, that the patient is diagnosed and whatnot, otherwise, they do more harm than good)
  • edited 2011-12-02 10:34:03
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ It's wise to consider one's options and gather information concerning medication. It's not for everyone. But I was kicking myself once it started to work, because I should've used it sooner. So while it's not a catch-all answer, it can be really beneficial and I don't think it's any good to dismiss it out of hand.

^ I actually had a really good therapist. Very engaging, active and personable, and wasn't afraid to stick it to me a bit if I was being a bitch, which I appreciated. I just think it wasn't for me.

And yeah, Asperger's. For that, I think you'll benefit less from general therapy and more from cognitive training that deals with your Asperger's particular effects. From what I hear, that's got elements of therapy but aims to be more proactive.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I've occasionally seen a therapist in the course of my schoolwork, trying to see if they could help me figure out a direction in life.  Well, the sessions were free since I was enrolled full-time, but they also didn't do much of anything.

Since then I've realized that no therapist or career counselor or whatever can answer the question of what I should do with my life.
  • You can change. You can.
    And yeah, Asperger's. For that, I think you'll benefit less from general therapy and more from cognitive training that deals with your Asperger's particular effects. From what I hear, that's got elements of therapy but aims to be more proactive. 

Nah, I ain't going to therapy for any part of the Asperger stuff (I managed to become quite sociable over in high school and I've learned to not ramble about my obssessions unless the situation calls for it. And I don't have many problems with body language as I used to)

The reason I'm going is because of, well, daddy issues and...certain tendencies that I'd prefer to keep private, if you don't mind.

Anyway, I just brought it up because it's the only thing I've been diagnosed with and as such, it'd be the only thing for which I'd get medication. Except of course, that there's no medication for AS.
    I see.

All the best.
  • "No therapist or careers counsellor or whatever can answer the question of what I should do with my life."

Seconded. I've never seen a "proper" therapist although I have seen a workplace counsellor over stress and used a careers adviser in the past. In the end, all any of them can do is ask questions, get you thinking and maybe provide a bit of guidance. It's still you that has to make the decisions. 

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    I really don't feel much in the way of depression, so i realyl just use my therapy sessions to air things I don't feel I can talk about with my family, and also because my therapist is awesome
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Yeah, at first I thought they could give me answers.  Say, like some sort of magical internet personality quiz, they might be able to ask me a lot of questions that they could use as proxies and say "hmm, maybe you should do [field]".  Say, maybe they could ask questions to determine that I think very logically, have a strong sense of creativity, and spend a lot of time on computers, and say that I should study programming.  Something like that sort of revelation.

Except no, they're basically just there to bounce one's questions and ideas and leads off of.  Which is better than nothing, but not as dramatically revelating as I would hope.
  • Glenn - The result of me seeing that careers adviser, nearly ten years ago now, was that I joined the organisation I now work for. Which has since made me redundant twice (I was able to transfer from closing branches to ones that were staying open, both times), put me on a pay freeze for the last 2 years and is now messing with my pension rights. This affects lots of other staff too, by the way; they don't hate me personally.

I could blame it all on the careers adviser, but that would be pathetic. I did what I wanted to and it seemed a good choice at the time, and I think that's how it always is with advice. 

• IJBM: That the word "therapist" looks horrible, especially if there was a space somewhere in that...

(being serious here)
    "Psychotherapist" is worse.
  • psycho the rapist sounds like a crazy clowns name :O
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Sounds like an ICP member.

In any case, therapy isn't an instant job or anything so I'd at least try to give it time.
  • Analrapist is the worst though.

• You can change. You can.
    [insert Arrested Develo--

damnit, legionnaire.

or should i say "Fagionnaire"?

hahah, so witty when i wake up
  • Oh dear, I should get some ice for that burn.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Nah, aloe vera is better :D
  • Does that count as a cigarette burn?

/waits for someone to get the joke
    I got it. :D
  • No rainbow star
    I didn't D:
  • Seems like there are a lot of jokes you don't get. That's unfortunate.
    >Fagionnaire
    >Fag
    >Cigarette
    >"I should get some ice for that burn"

It's the Queen's fucked up English.
  • Alex just called me a Fag (sort of)

;_;
  • No rainbow star
    AH DAMMIT I WAS THINKING IT WAS A SHOW REFERENCE! >.<
  • Mufufufufu~
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Mofofofofo~