If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Philosophy and Science

edited 2011-11-25 21:43:19 in Philosophy
I find it amusing that science's discoveries become philosophy's metaphors.

Comments

• Well, I'm using "science" and "philosophy" in a broad sense ("science" includes engineering and computation and such while "philosophy" encompasses the humanities), but for one, there's the whole functionalist theory of mind which describes mental states like the states programmers speak of. Also, apparently Newton's universal laws got political thinkers of the time thinking humans are governed by universal laws as well as opposed to nobles having different laws from peasants.
  • a little muffled
    Quantum mysticism sorta falls into this; the difference being that many of the people who subscribe to it don't think they're using it as a metaphor...
  • Historically science and philosophy were extremely closely entwined, so I'm not surprised there's a lot of overlap.
  • They're converging more and more again(yay for interdisciplinary clusterfuck). Case-in-point: bio-art.