If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Obama's Batman Gambit

edited 2011-11-22 17:55:00 in IJAM
CRIMINAL SCUM!
By capitulating on the debt ceiling talks earlier this year, Obama set the stage for automatic budget cuts to take effect if the supercommittee couldn't compromise to find 1 trillion dollars in budget cuts. Knowing that the supercommittee wouldn't be able to make that compromise, he created a situation in which he will get 4 trillion in cuts, mostly from areas he wants; and the Republicans can't do anything, because to override those automatic cuts, they need to get past his veto power (which won't happen).

He set it up so that if a Do-Nothing Congress does nothing, he wins.

Damned, and I though this guy didn't have any balls.

Comments

• What the hell is a Batman Gambit?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    HE'S SPEAKING IN TONGUES! GET THE BIBLE!
  • This is a Batman Gambit.

Could you please elaborate? I'm not sure I fully understand.
  • edited 2011-11-22 18:09:51
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ I GOT IT RIGHT HERE

tumblr_lo1j33xcxo1qafrh6.gif
  • edited 2011-11-22 18:17:45
    CRIMINAL SCUM!
    ^^ Obama appeared really weak on our last debt ceiling talks when he compromised very heavily to Republicans. But a part of those talks was creating the Super Committee to find cuts to our budget, and if they couldn't, automatic cuts would happen. So since the Super committee was never going to reach an agreement, those cuts are basically set in stone.

Republicans were counting on Obama just capitulating again and letting them claw back the auto cuts, since they didn't want them. But now he's threatening to veto anything they try.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Okay, as much as I've complained about some stuff Obama's done, that's actually really clever. What are the auto-cuts?
  • I think I'm starting to see it. Damn, that is clever.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    That's kind of awesome.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I'm going to wait to see how it plays out. If it does go well  then awesome, but I still am kind of skeptical.
  • Just to be clear, the auto-cuts are the cuts Obama sets, right?
  • 9/10 epic troll would vote again.
  • ^^ They're preset. Most of them are in Defense.
  • Oh that's rich. I'm literally lolling.
  • Hmm. Cutting spending from the places that don't need it is a good start, but it's not much of an accomplishment unless the next step is increasing funding for the programs that do.

Granted, a kick in the balls to the people who would do something like this is its own reward.

• No rainbow star
    Well my dad looked it over (he has more understanding of political systems than I do) and says that Obama can't get any cuts approved without the approval of senate, so unless there are bills with cuts that he already wants he can't do anything with this

Anybody want to weigh in on this?
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    whoa, whichever one of his political strategists came up with this is awesome...
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > Super Congress

You mean "Super-Committee", right?

Super Congress would be...I'm not sure.
  • edited 2011-11-22 20:18:37
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Hold up, is this actually what's happening or is this just speculation?

If it's true, then /tg/ was right, Obama is a Lord of Change in disguise.
    The only bit that's not fallen into place yet is that older voters are going to throw a hissyfit at cuts to Medicare benefits.

Though I don't know if the bill that created this supercommittee specifies particular changes or just cuts the budget of stuff and then leaves others to figure out exactly how to make do with smaller budgets.
  • edited 2011-11-22 23:33:01
    No rainbow star
    Funnyguts: So essentially there was already a bill/law/something in place prior that just needed inaction before it could go into effect?

And it allows one to choose where the cuts are applied?

How did that get through in the first place?
    > How did that get through in the first place?

Remember the debt ceiling drama back in the summer?

The only deal they could come up with was the idea of kicking the can down the road, and installing a Sword of Damocles where the can would end up.

Except said Sword of Damocles was passed by with nary anything happening.
  • Part of me was trying to figure out why Republicans wouldn't give in just to foil the scheme.  To me that would make sense, because it would derail the whole "Republicans are only interested in doing nothing" campaign.

Then I saw a clip explaining it:

Pretty much all the strategists were saying "by failing, Obama wins".  Except Karl Rove.  In his scenario, Obama loses in the end because he looks too weak to be capable of fixing the economy.  If that's what Republicans in the supercommittee were thinking, damn.

• They're somethin' else.
    Can I get a link to an article?
  • edited 2011-11-23 02:51:17
    Okay. I've read this multiple times to try and understand it. I have one comment:

• edited 2011-11-23 02:52:31
    CRIMINAL SCUM!
    ^^^ Of course. If the economy DOES improve (which, tbh it probably won't) Republicans will be absolutely fucked.

It doesn't matter though, because Obama can fall back on "Well damned these Republicans are just a bunch of partisan do nothings so it's not my fault!" Also, a total lack of any really appealing (or intelligent) Republican challenger.

^ That's not a comment.

/smartassness

• News for you guys who wanted a link
    I think with the large number of highly intelligent but highly partisan players in Washington DC, we're watching a thirty Xanatos pileup unfold.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    So what is actually happening roughly now regarding this then?
  • An improbably-named Republican lobbyist called Grover Norquist was interviewed in the Guardian today and he seemed pretty happy about the collapse of the discussions, because they meant no tax rises. He claimed the Republicans wouldn't "fall into the trap" of agreeing to tax rises to avoid defence cuts, and to be fair his organisation has written promises from all Republicans in Congress not to vote for tax increases - for what that's worth.

Still, he has A Name To Run Away From Really Fast.

Grover Norquist is a jackass.