If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Professional Gamers

edited 2011-03-13 15:57:20 in Media
You know, the ones that were on that show on Sci Fi and G4, which basically played nothing but Call of Duty, Gears of War and Halo 3 to decide the best gamer in America?

...why didn't they play any racing games? Any fighting games? Any sports games? Being good at 3 games doesn't make you a professional gamer, or at least I don't think it does...

Comments

• edited 2012-07-22 17:07:10

• Professional Gamer = Getting paid for playing games, no more, no less. There are professional gamers in many genres, but FPS's seem to be the most prevalent.
  • I thought those were Game Testers.
  • Starcraft has more intersting games.  Possibly due to the presence of tanks, mechs, and ultralisks.
  • Those get payed for testing games, which is just like playing games, except it is monotonous and boring.
  • There are tournaments and such for pretty much any kind of competitive video game.

FPSes (and occasionally sports games) just seem to be the only ones I've ever seen on TV.

Too bad, too, since fighting games are the only ones I ever enjoy watching.
  • There are tons of racing leagues for Racing Sims. A lot try to emulate real life seasons (so an F1 league will actually race on the same tracks as the real one, with the same amount of length and usually at about the same time.
  • Still can't beat this, if you ask me:

(Also, IJBM: people who think cheering over something as impressive as this is pathetic)

• You know, I wonder why they always play on such small TV's.
  • because only poor people make Let's Plays or films them with Cameras.
  • No, I meant fighting game tounies. Holy fuck, they can't afford at least some 40+ inchers or something?
  • Yet they can hand out 10,000+ dollar prizes. The hell? 
  • Silence is golden.
    It's purely pratical. LCD screens have more input lag than their smaller CRT cousins. Considering high-level fighting game tournament play often requires frame (1/60th of a second) specific inputs, having as little lag as possible is very important.
  • Wait, does this mean I'm fucked when I play MvC3 on my 42-inch LCD? Oh god dammit...
  • No, because you'll never be as good as Daigo.
  • Well, yeah, but I still want to be able to combo well.
  • I think you'll live.
  • Unless you're at the level where you're playing competitively, you probably won't need to worry about the input lag on your huge LCD.
  • Eh, I can set it to game mode anyway.
  • Please, that's nothing. Have you seen Korean professional gamers? All they seem to care about is starcraft.
  • That's a stereotype...kind of.
  • It's not a stereotype when the fucking Korean Air Force has their own team.

I wonder if Ed is good at Starcraft.

• edited 2011-03-14 13:41:56
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    It's only a stereotype when you say that a given Korean loves Starcraft because Koreans love Starcraft. It's a fact that Koreans as a whole love Starcraft more than any other country.
  • I have to wonder why, though.

It just seems random.
  • edited 2011-03-14 13:46:37
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Dunno. Something about the game's marketing meshing well with Korean culture or something like that, maybe?
  • Korea's new development of profit based televsion and reporting of professional tournaments for games such as the chess-like board game Go, or Baduk. When the PC popularity boom hit, Korea became packed with internet cafes. Then they simply chose something that had potential for mass multiplayer engagement, and Starcraft fit the bill. The rest is history. Also, they don't want to be stereotypically associated with playing only JRPGs, which is understandable.
  • I have a friend who grew up in Korea, if he says it, then I believe it.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^Ah, that makes sense.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    There's a difference between "hardcore gamer" and "professional gamer", by the way.