If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Resume Legal Speed" or "End Speed Zone"

edited 2011-11-17 21:42:48 in Meatspace
The sign typically posted (in Ohio, at least) to signify the end of a temporary reduced speed limit.

For instance, if the speed limit on a particular road is 65 mph, and there is construction ahead, the posted speed limit will be reduced to 55. Then beyond the construction zone there will be a sign saying "RESUME LEGAL SPEED".

My question is this: Why not just use a normal "SPEED LIMIT 65" sign? Not only would it remove any ambiguity about what exactly the  speed limit is, but it would be consistent with the standard way of signing a speed limit change.

(I kinda have to nitpick the wording as well, as strictly speaking the lower limit is the "legal speed" until posted otherwise)

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I've never seen any signs like this.
  • I suspect such a sign more clearly signals the end of construction than a numerical speed limit sign.
  • ^^ Perhaps it is an Ohio-specific quirk.

Weirdly, I can't find any references to it in the Ohio Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices or ODOT's Sign Design Manual.

^ But they always post them alongside "END ROAD WORK" signs anyway!
  • Then that is odd.
  • Good people don't end up here.
    I've seen them before. I think they're used in places where traffic ought to be slower for reasons other than road work as well (though no specific examples are coming to mind).
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Should just put "END REDUCED SPEED ZONE".
  • Good people don't end up here.
    Hence "End Speed Zone".
  • I don't think we have these in Connecticut. Or Massachusetts, for that matter.

(Of course Massachusetts has rotaries, they don't need anything else unusual!)
  • From what I've seen, the "END SPEED ZONE" variation tends to be used like this:

SPEED LIMIT 55

REDUCED SPEED AHEAD

SPEED LIMIT 35

END SPEED ZONE

...The main problem with that is that it relies on you knowing that the "default" speed is 55. If you turned onto the road within the 35 mph section, you'll see "END SPEED ZONE" but you won't know what the speed limit actually is, as you would with "SPEED LIMIT 55".
  • It's a cost saving measure. "End Speed Zone" can be made for multiple situations, if you make speed specific signs you need to make a lot of different ones. So instead, use generic signs.