If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This article.

edited 2011-11-14 05:58:08 in IJAM
One foot in front of the other, every day.
Holy shit.

A few snippets for the sake of contextualising a particular piece of information.

Yet, interestingly this recent effort to follow "old swordplay" is not the first.  Such an effort actually was underway over 100 years ago and in, of all places, Britain.  Several Victorian military men, namely Captain Alfred Hutton, Egerton Castle, Captain Carl Thimm, Colonel Cyril Matthey, Sir Frederick Pollock, and Captain Sir Richard Burton, were fencers interested in the history and practice of antique forms of fence.

In the preface to his famous 1896 complete bibliography of fencing and dueling, British researcher Carl Thimm stated "all forms of fencing" were seeing at the time a "revival" after a "long period of abeyance".

Hutton also tells us that, "the fence of the case of rapiers, as of all the other Elizabethan weapons, is much in vogue at the present time at the Baritsu club, now the headquarters of ancient swordplay in this country."   The Baritsu club ironically was itself teaching an eclectic English form of self-defense created by combining boxing, wrestling, and Savate with elements from Japanese jujitsu and had among its members Arthur Conan Doyle.

Emphasis mine.

Think about that for a second. Arthur Conan Doyle was a martial reconstructionist of historical European forms of fighting.

And that's pretty much why I made this thread.

Comments

• Kamen Rider MADOKA
    Didn't baritsu get mentioned in The Adventure of the Empty House, when Holmes explained his absence?
  • edited 2011-11-14 07:00:19
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Not surprising. Doyle was an active guy and into exotic cultures. 

It's too bad he let himself get scammed by doctoedr fairy pictures.
  • Goddammit, another sword thread.
  • edited 2011-11-14 09:29:35
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Doesn't surprise me.

Wikipedia's article on Sherlock Holmes has an entire section devoted to styles of martial arts he canonically knows, IIRC.
  • edited 2011-11-14 15:14:08
    Likes cheesecake unironically.
    Yeah, no surprise here. In absolutely no way. Isn't that even common knowledge?
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I wouldn't say so, simply based on the fact that martial reconstructionism isn't common knowledge.