If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

According to the Bible, Voodoo is not a religion.

edited 2011-03-12 15:35:07 in Philosophy
Discuss.

Comments

• Isn't it a cult?
  • I don't think it is. I think it's an actual religion that people participate in.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Which passage of the Bible mentions Voodoo, a post-Christian religion which developed in the 1700s and is chiefly derived from Vodun, a religion from a completely different part of the world from where the Bible was written?
  • What part sets requirements to be considered a religion?
    Does the Bible contain a list of such requirements?  I've never heard of them.
  • I'm pretty sure a religion is a mixture of philosophy and spiritualism, with a holy text written down somewhere and divine beings.
  • Silly, Voodoo isn't a religion.

Vodou, on the other hand...
    Actually, they're both religions, and both descended from Vodun with Christian influences.

Vodou is the Haitian equivalent to New Orleans Voodoo.
  • edited 2011-03-12 19:11:02
    Pony Sleuth
    Religions don't require holy texts. There have been a large number of cultures that lack a writing system yet have a religion.
  • Like most Native American cultures (I don't know what to call mine other than Pikuni, because we didn't name our beliefs or write them down, they were all oral)
  • ...you're Native American?
  • As I might have expected, there appear to be language preservation efforts for that tribe's language. Would you happen to know anything about that?
  • edited 2011-03-13 14:34:28
    Yup, there are sites and books being written. The language has few words and adjectives so it's easy to put the entire language into a book. It's just agreeing on how to spell some of the words gets tiring, and most of them are really long, since sentences didn't use so many different avenues of wording or emphasis.

So far we are having problems defining the word "Purple" because there are too many different ways to pronounce it/spell it.