If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Confrontation with some scumbag

edited 2011-11-11 10:01:52 in Meatspace
Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy

So, my friend and I are just sitting at a bench, and he is showing me his new book. I hear someone ask for a light suddenly. Neither of us answer, as we don't even know this scubbo is talking to us. Then he and his girlfriend stops and says "yeah, I'm f**king talking to you" to my friend. Verbally abusive at this point. Calls us "geeks" for reading books, and says there is something wrong with us or something. He says he'll stomp my friend, if only there wasn't a police station there. At this point I butt in, saying he needs to get some manners. He says it has nothing to do with me. Fucking coward, he was threatening my friend that's what. I just smile and stand up, pondering if I should try my luck. He turns to move on, but my friend says "fuck off" behind his back, and he turns around threateningly but moves on when his girlfriend says "it's not worth it". Some nasty people about, truly. You definitely have problems if you have that sort of attitude towards books.

Comments

• This kind of thing happens. Life just sucks like that, yes?
  • Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy
    Yeah. But it bothers me that I am woefully inexperienced with such confrontations. I could have handled it much better.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    So could have your friend. Saying "fuck off" to someone like that is asking for trouble. I understand the sentiment but it's really not worth trying your luck. I'm not the kind that emotes like that in confrontational situations, but I have friends who are and it's gotten me into violent situations before. You should tell your friend to watch his language, because that sort of liable behaviour isn't just on his neck, but could get you or other friends injured or worse.

The best outcome is one where no violence occurs, so all in all, I'd say that situation is a victory.
  • edited 2011-11-11 10:03:41

I think what my friend said was foolish at the very least. Bastards like this are looking for a fight. They want nothing more than to have a reason to smash someone's face in. Sometimes asking for a light is just like asking for a fight.

• It's often perceived as a lose-lose situation. You either feel spineless for letting the asshole get away with such mannerless behaviour, or you feel like an idiot for letting it almost get out of hand. Insecurities and repressed frustration with being put upon in other situations often feed into this perception. Symptoms are 'what I would have done in X situation' where you mind comes up with scenarios that justify the use of violence, and a sense of giddy adrenaline whenever such situations nearly occur.

My, this starts to sound an awful lot like I'm projecting.
  • edited 2011-11-11 10:12:48
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ Absolutely. Keep in mind, that sort of person probably gets themselves into fights on a reasonably regular basis. They have a certain level of experience, and some don't mind taking a few light hits to get one good hit that allows them to reclaim initiative and brutalise their adversary from there. An excellent approach to unarmed, strike-oriented combat, which is one great reason not to fight them.

On the other hand, that kind of person is just as liable to be cowardly. They like to dominate via the simplest and most direct means, which means that strong resistance disquiets them. The best approach, if moving along isn't possible, is to remain strong and calm in one's position without exacerbating the situation. If they don't feel as if they're intimidating you, they don't feel as if they have fight initiative and will be less than eager to engage.

A fair amount of street combat is giving off misleading biomechanical signals, although that's difficult. I find such confrontations intimidating despite knowing a decent handful of ways to kill with my bare hands -- it's not as if, in a truly desperate and mortal confrontation, I couldn't push through to victory. But that has no bearing on it. Psychology is a completely different ballgame, but it's just as important, if not moreso, than proper martial technique.

Here's a further tip. Most people have a particular threshold of violence, after which they are no longer willing to engage. An SAS buddy of mine advised me, if outnumbered, to pick out the weakest and smallest of my adversaries, break something important and then retreat a small distance to see if any of the others are still willing to fight. Since he informed me of that tactic, I've not had the need to try it, mercifully, but it's something to keep in mind.

Safety is a pretty important thing, so my favourite strategy is not to fight. But if someone forces a physical confrontation, then I consider them to have crossed a very clear and significant line, and I wouldn't blame anyone for fighting to the best of their ability once that line is crossed.

^ That's another thing. I've had ridiculously extensive vengeance fantasies after falling victim to violence, and often it's taken days or weeks to get over the burst of adrenaline even thinking of the situation brings up. Being in a real, immediate fight clarifies deeply the philosophies often associated with martial arts. Those philosophies, to my mind, are generally "stoppers". They aim to prevent the martial art from being misused.
  • edited 2011-11-11 10:29:05

Hmm, that's true. I'll bear that in mind. Half of it is psychology. They want provocation or weakness. I tried to smile my way out of it. I don't know if that helped, as often psychopaths have no reaction to positive emotional signals, except perhaps confusion.

Still, without ignoring what you've said, it can't hurt to be prepared for next time. If worst comes to worst, I need to make sure I know how to handle it should it get violent... if it just means being able to disable them with a kick to the balls and then running away, or being able to stand a sudden crack on the jaw without being incapacitated and unable to retaliate.

I personally believe that as many nonviolent people as possible should study at least one martial art. This will contribute somewhat to one's psychological preparation, certainly when it comes to confidence, but the technical skills acquired will keep you safe. At least, they'll keep you safe if you implement them with intent and confidence.

A part of the reason psychology is important is that it does have a bearing on how you implement martial technique (if even that's as simple as "foot --> groin"). There are two barriers to break psychologically in order to fight properly:

- Fear
    - Gentleness

Most people are intimidated by physical confrontation and are generally unwilling to harm another human being directly. This is natural, but both factors will work against you. You must accept that you might get hurt, and you must harden your feelings against compassion, if only for a few minutes. If you can do both those things, you can fight with relatively small constraint and use both instinctive and learned techniques to their fullest capacity.
  • edited 2011-11-11 10:58:06

Makes sense. I could feel my desire to set the score right conflicting with my fear, not so much of hurting the guy, but being badly hurt myself 

There are two factors which make me quite worried. a) the possibility of losing and ending up in intensive care or a coffin... or b) the possibility of being arrested.

If you're acting reactively, then b) is of small concern. And if you fight with good brutality and savagery, then neither is a). You simply have to exceed their violence with yours, as terrible as that might sound.
  • edited 2011-11-11 12:05:00
    No rainbow star
    Of course if one gets into a fight they should keep their feelings under control

I've been told that if I could just keep my anger under control I could probably use it to at least scare somebody into ending a fight, but with how I am I act in a manner that a person with their head on their shoulders could easily shut down

Just wanted to point that out as emotion wasn't really mentioned
    Certainly a valid point, although there's a variety of perspectives on the use of emotion in a violent situation.
  • A lot of people think that the average victim of violence is a pensioner being mugged for their money, but in fact you're most at risk of violence if you're young and male (and, to be fair, most likely to perpetrate it).

I just try and walk around any trouble if I can. I tend to be a bit paranoid about it, actually, but that's living in London for you. A guy I once worked with was at the local bus station after midnight one New Year when some guys accused him of looking at one of their girlfriends. He ended up with a fractured skull. Fortunately, he recovered.

So my advice is not to hang around public transport late at night, and if someone starts the old "are you looking at my bird?" thing, run.

• Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    My advice is to not get too involved from the beginning. Trolls in real-life are best ignored. I tend to loudly yawn at them or answer most of their questions with "And?" trying to general look and be bored with them occupying my space. But, that's just me. 
    If you absolutely cannot run -- and I really mean can't -- throwing the first strike is advisable. Many fights are won or lost at the outset. I've made the mistake of trying to talk my way out of a fight with a clearly aggressive individual and earned bruises and bloodshed for my trouble, so spare yourself some pain and just hit the asshole.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ I'd prefer to take the first hit (or more precisely, let them make the first move while I avoid it) if I ever got into a fight just for the sake of any police intervention
  • ^ This is probably reasonable advice practically. If you read the book Donnie Brasco, about an FBI agent who infiltrated the Mafia, "Donnie" actually once found himself getting into an argument with a "wiseguy" in a bar over a spilt drink, and just punched him out before the guy could start a fight.

Legally, it has its risks though. You've got to be able to show you were acting in self-defence, which is harder if you hit first.

• edited 2011-11-11 12:50:07
    That's true, and this is one of those situations where the law and violence mingle on a very blurred line. The fact of the matter is that confrontation, especially at night, can be extremely frightening and disquieting, and most of us have a limited amount of composure.

With that in mind, it pays to heed your location and "audience" as it were, defining audience as both onlookers and your adversary. If you're in an area with cameras, a good idea is to use open-handed strikes, as you can reasonably claim you were trying to push your adversary away. Many of the people who want to begin fights, however, will go out of their way to choose "safe" locations. Use that to your advantage if you must.

If your adversary is of the grungier sort, then they'll be unlikely to resort to the police to get back at you, and even less likely to receive serious help.

@Ica: Perhaps. The thing is that most of these people aren't happy with the first hit. They'll want the first three, four, five or dozen hits. I can't blame them, because abusing the initiative one gains in a fight is a sound martial practice. Likewise, you don't want the first hit to stand alone; you want the first hit so it opens up potential for further attacks.
  • No rainbow star
    So some more good advice is (obviously) stick to populated places and places with cameras wherever possible since people are less likely to start something there :D
  • edited 2011-11-11 12:51:38
    -nods-

Keep in mind that for them, "safe" places to begin fights open up drastically at night. There being cameras around is unlikely to deter them, although having other people about will.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Yeah the cameras are pretty much after the event help, that allow for evidence in court and the like.
    Unless you are incredibly super lucky and that someone is actually watching the feed of you in that camera, however this is astonishingly unlikely.
  • A safe way to justify you throwing the first blow in a situation that looks like it's going to be a fight is to outright tell the person, "don't come any closer/don't hurt me", and if they come closer, they're asking for it.
    That's true. You can enforce your own personal space with a warning, although conversely, it can be taken as an invitation. This is because it gives your adversary an ultimatum; they must make the first strike now or they hand you initiative. So while it does make things easier on your end, ensure that you're ready to fight in saying it.
  • For my ex-colleague, the cameras didn't even help for that. The story I heard was that they showed him standing near the attackers and then him lying on the floor, but they didn't get who hit him. So if they'd prosecuted the guy who struck the blow (I think he was "known to the police", it would have been his word against my colleague's.
    Likewise, I was in a situation where it didn't help, although I got no explanation. Apparently they had identified one of my assailants, but got nowhere with it. How this happened I'm not sure, as they had reasonably lengthy videos of them being aggressive on the train.

On the other hand, the actual fight happened outside a station.
  • edited 2011-11-11 13:14:25
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Yeah the CCTV stuff isn't perfect due to stuff like costs keeping the quality of the film down (or whatever the word is regarding frames recorded a second or something) as to have a lot of film like that stored and processed would be very expensive.

However it can be useful, just not always.
    (For instance an old housemate of mine got attacked and had his head kicked in, due to CCTV footage the guys who did it went to trial.)
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I haven't been in a fight since high school. 

I intend to keep it that way. 

Honestly, I dislike physical confrontation and my solution is generally to not deal with people who seem like they're looking for it.
  • edited 2011-11-11 13:42:38
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I'm glad I haven't been in a legitimate fight; just a few grappling bouts with friends. I'm afraid of what would happen, on account of how scrawny I am. At the very least, I've practiced throwing punches, and my nerves have developed to the point where I wouldn't be scared to throw the first punch at the right person if I had the chance.

I'm not scared of anything happening at my current high school, but I'll definitely look into self-defense/martial arts once I reach college. And I need to be better about working out.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Wait, you're still in high school? Doesn't that make you younger than me?

When the fuck did this happen because I could have SWORN you were older?
  • edited 2011-11-11 14:15:37
    I haven't really read all the posts here, but here's my suggestion for any time this happens again. Say "No, sorry." or something like that. People tend to frown upon being obviously ignored, and in my experience, these kinds of people don't usually take that as an invitation to fight. On the other hand, pretending they don't exist because you don't want to talk to "scumbags" like them seems like that's pretty much asking them to get violent.

Just my two cents.