If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Best Zelda yet?"

edited 2011-11-11 09:42:31 in General
Diet NEET
Skyward Sword reviews are pouring in(the usual 8.8 controversies, reviews that yap on about how the experience "feels" instead of substance on execution and content, reviews that first establish that Zelda fits firmly into a certain genre and then start comparing it with MMOs of all things) and they all consistently start with the title question.

The answer is simple. The Best Zelda Yet is some sort of Platonic concept which exists only in one's head. That nostalgic notion of childhood wonder that's constantly spoken of almost always pertains to the first Zelda one played, and whether the new games can capture that is very personal, sublime and nebulous. For me it would probably be Link's Awakening, which had a vague well-roundedness that beat even Ocarina(I acquired the two in the same year).

Almost every Zelda game has something it does better than all other entries within the series(even the CDi abonimations stand out in their memetic potential). Unless you'd create a Frankensteinian fan game, it's highly doubtful that you'll find a Zelda game that does all things right in all categories.

My overobsessed breakdown:

Legend of Zelda-Played this only up till the second dungeon before the clunky controls(can't move diagonally) got the better of my patience. Still, there's some charm to be found in the figure-it-out-yourself mentality of plopping you in the overworld and just leaving you up to your own devices. It has a certain air of mystery about it. It's an artifact from the NES era, but could be recreated by dropping Link in a new area through plot contrivance without NPCs or sidekicks to explain the deal.

Adventure of Link-Same deal as above with regards to playtime. Still, the leveling upgrade system is perhaps more elegant and gives a more consistent sense of growing stronger/customization than the collect-a-thon of Skyward Sword's item upgrade system. Sidequests would still be the preferred method of getting better gear, but perhaps the EXP could be shafted into other areas of customization(not stats, but perhaps sword manouevres & moves?).

A Link to The Past/Four Swords-Finished all the way in its GBA incarnation. Biggest strength is dungeon numbers. No Zelda since has had the same amount of dungeons. Also, the bonus dungeon you get after finishing both games is a great test of skills and creative use of items.

Link's Awakening-Finished all the way. My nostalgiafag 'best Zelda'. Tightest overall package, especially with regards to the set-piece(story sequences, mini-games or events, often involving NPC interaction)/overworld(exploration of new area)/dungeon ratio. Also, funnest good bad bug, great for sequence breaking and the bizarre glitch world.

Ocarina of Time-Finished all the way. Greatest mini-dungeon(Bottom of the Well, for its supreme mindfuckery), second place in tightest overall package with the set-piece/overworld/dungeon ratio. Greatest use of the instrument gimmick, finding a supreme middle between freedom of use and ease of use(Wind Waker's baton was a tad too clunky for my fancy, especially with regards to change wind direction when oversailing your target).  Master Quest was a dungeon remix that was a bit of a disappointment in its awkwardness. 3D's introduction of a boss replay & rush was an idea that should have come much earlier in the franchise's history.

Majora's Mask-Finished all the way. Best atmosphere, tied with Minish Cap for greatest in the sidequest departement. This one had more substance to its sidequests, but often slipped up in the rewards(one note masks meant to gain a heart piece and all that).

Oracle of Ages/Seasons-Played up till both final bosses. Best rides. No boat or horse can beat something that has actual practical combat application(horse combat was still a tad clunky in Twilight Princess-you didn't get on your horse in order to more easily plow through enemies). Best customization with regards to the rings, but still lacking in that many of the rings are obscurely hidden for the crossover quest. Tough mini-bosses and bosses also deserve a mention(Ramrock), especially the latter, multi-phase ones. Can't comment on the cross-over aspect since I played them separately.

Wind Waker-Best sense of exploration and scale, even if said exploration was a tad clunky. Probably the best story in timing and execution, especially the submerged Hyrule Castle reveal/return to the Forsaken Fortress. Second best combat(after Skyward Sword).

Four Swords Adventures-Finished all the way. Best multiplayer aspect, since they feel obliged to throw it in every time. Best replay value, since the level structure lets you dip right into a section of the game you liked. Works better than secondary quests with a few minor cosmetic changes and difficulty bumps, until they learn to remix dungeons in appropriate way instead of Master Quest-style awkwardness.

The Minish Cap-Finished all the way. Tied for greatest in sidequest department. Rewarding, plenty of upgrades that weren't necessary but gave you the right edge, but minus points for the unorganized nature of the Kinstones aspect.

Twilight Princess-Finished all the way. Best companion, best use of set-pieces(at least in the first half of the game), best final boss, with honorary mentions for Stallord and Zant. Overworld was big, but too sparsely populated. Link's Crossbow Training should have been a part of this game, since a point defence set-piece would have been awesome to splice up the game's latter half.

Phantom Hourglass-Played all the way. Most innovative bosses, Gleeok being the highlight. Not much else to say, save for the genius of the DS-shutting puzzle.

Spirit Tracks-Played all the way. Best Zelda dynamic. A tad sad that she looks like she's been damsel-in-distressed again in Skyward Sword.

Skyward Sword-Best combat, according to the reviews. Should perhaps stop speculating on the game till I have it in my mitts next week.

TL;DR-Every Zelda has its strong and weak points, and the feel of best Zelda is often more a case of gut feeling than objective measuring.