If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Sarcastic macros when a thread has barely started

edited 2011-11-10 15:05:31 in General
-Do not get carried away with drama in this thread about specific other threads. Be conscientious.-

When people make a serious attempt to start a discussion on something potentially controversial, I find it incredibly rude when the first/second/third posts are baity macros that don't add anything to the discussion other than that person's cheeky attitude.

Sometimes I really feel like the rule about not posting unless you have something constructive to add (at least to serious threads) goes unnoticed a lot, and it's detrimental to those that were actually seeking to have a serious discussion.

I wanted to make this thread a few times in the past, but I guess now's as good a time as any, when I haven't personally seen this happening in a while, though experiences do vary and all that jazz, so it couldn't hurt to talk about it.

Comments

• $80+ per session

<3 you waltzy
  • why you little- D:<

> <3 you waltzy

... :> oh u.

I considered making an inb4-like statement in the OP but I thought that might be too encouraging. ~////~;; I see now that it doesn't matter. XD

But yeah, that's the gist of it. Observe how just one macro of Vivi's has rewritten the tone of the thread. As I type this I wouldn't be surprised if one more had appeared.
  • You can change. You can.
    there's an image that explains my view on all of this succintly

• Waltzy,
    When people make a serious attempt to start a discussion on something potentially controversial, I find it incredibly rude when the first/second/third posts are baity macros that don't add anything to the discussion other than that person's cheeky attitude.

Sometimes I really feel like the rule about not posting unless you have something constructive to add (at least to serious threads) goes unnoticed a lot, and it's detrimental to those that were actually seeking to have a serious discussion.

I totally agree with you there. I am not a fan of disparaging image macros in general because I feel like they rarely do anything productive at all. Some days I actually wonder if there are too many negative reaction images and not enough positive ones.

I think a good rule of thumb is to respect more serious conversations when they happen. That does not mean that humor may not be helpful even in those threads, just that when employed it should not be used in a discouraging manner. I think that using the image macros you mentioned helps support the idea that good conversations about certain controversial issues are impossible, thus discouraging people from making an effort to contribute to them in the future and creating a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

• From what I can tell, image macros are usually only posted when a thread is stupid/bullshit. Some serious threads get macros too, but they tend to get ignored.

Then again, I don't visit a lot of forums. 
  • "When people make a serious attempt to start a discussion on something potentially controversial, I find it incredibly rude when the first/second/third posts are baity macros that don't add anything to the discussion other than that person's cheeky attitude."

It comes off as smug and hypocritical. I am reminded of the old IJBM where people that used these macros constantly acted like they are the ones smart enough to avoid drama when they were the ones causing it in the first place. Kind of like people who go into a thread just to say "I don't care".

I personally think that nothing gets the point across more that a thread is stupid or irrelevant than the thread having no responses. 

• Kichigai birthday!!
    But my threads never get responses

;_;
  • Don't worry. You're not stupid.
  • Ahhh Louie that was everything I wanted to say only better~~. ~////~ You're just a godsend~.

Not wanting to make it a "do or don't for this/that" kind of thing was what I was worried about too, because every situation is different and really it just comes down to using a little bit of common sense.

I guess a TL;DR of this whole issue would be that there's a time and a place for everything, and that's all I really wanted to point out. <3
    I think I've whined about me having less gall to insult with image macros before.

then overdid it to compensate

now i'm ok and decided to chill
  • It's perhaps not so much the image macros that are the problem as the attitude behind them of "I don't like this; I will shoot it down with snidery (if that's a word)." It's human nature; but I agree that we should just not be posting if we don't like the thread.

And if you insist on posting, it is perversely more polite to actually say in words why you think the thread sucks. This at least suggests you've given it proper thought.

I'm not anti-image macros, they're often really funny, but there's a time and a place for them. 

• >image macros in the thread

It was predictable, but that doesn't make it any less amusing.
  • "It was predictable, but that doesn't make it any less amusing."

Indeed. What makes it less amusing is it cheapens the discussion.

• I don't see why that matters. The same points can be addressed regardless.
  • edited 2011-11-10 19:24:53
    For one thing, it's a matter of being polite.
  • Hmm, no... I don't really see it as being rude... No more so than making another kind of joke during a discussion.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-11-10 19:37:04
    I see it as being very rude.

Especially, things that are purposely dismissive of the argument, without addressing anything in it.

I have seen this done many times, and I lose respect for the person who uses it. Especially when against someone who is usually reasonable, and just happens to have a point you disagree with.
  • Again, one of the reasons why IJBM I turned into a shithole was because people either didn't realize how rude they were being by shitposting or didn't care.
  • Difference of opinion, I guess. I personally don't feel uncomfortable having certain people get annoyed and take me less seriously for a reason I don't find especially valid, for the sake of the amusement of myself and others.

In other words:

• The problem isn't a joke being made.

The problem is when someone posts Tidus Laugh or that weird japanese girl laughing at an argument because they disagree with it, or something to that extent.
  • >weird japanese girl

Ha ha, racist.

I guess we had different instances in mind here. Those do get annoying when used in too many threads or in cases where the OP didn't have a Chagen-like opinion.
  • edited 2011-11-10 19:53:12

"or in cases where the OP didn't have a Chagen-like opinion."

Admittedly, in cases where the thread is clearly exporting drama from another one, it might as well be considered an extension of the original thread. Or if the thread happens to be based on a Point Refuted A Thousand Times, then I see no reason why people have to try refuting it yet again.

I only use them when I feel the thread is 

A) dumb since its inception
    B) made by a person who clearly is looking to either troll or getting people riled up
    C) The discussion is light hearted enough.

As to the image macros being rude? Meh, I can't see them as rude unless the content is particularly annoying. And if it is not adding to the discussions, then it's a post that can be ignored. It's not like if someone posts an image macro, then the quality of the discussion goes down the shithole and everybody will start shitting like there's no tomorrow.