If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People Skipping Breakfast

edited 2011-11-10 12:23:41 in Meatspace
Loser
It bugs me when people go without breakfast.

First, as cliche as it may sound, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. There is actually research to support that conclusion. It gives you a good start, and assuming you do not just eat incredibly unhealthy stuff, can provide vitamins you might not get elsewhere plus some energy that can help you think and work better. I cannot think of any good reasons to skip it and not get all of those benefits.

Second, people who miss out on breakfast also usually miss out on a wide variety of foods.  This might be a bit silly, but I think it is shame that people do not have a chance everyday to have waffles, pancakes, oatmeal, eggs (all kinds), hash browns, Nutella on toast, jam on toast, pop-tarts, toaster strudels, muffins, and even cereal (Apple Jacks, Honey Nut Cheerios, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch especially)  as lame as that may sound. 

I can understand not eating breakfast if you simply cannot afford it, but most of time I think people skip it when they should not be.

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I kind of feel sick if I eat breakfast.  I usually don't have any appetite, and I don't like eating right after I wake up.
  • edited 2011-11-10 12:11:16
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I literally don't have time for breakfast, except on weekends. I'm either up so late because I have to work on something. Or I have spend the morning working on stuff I didn't finish when I was up late.
  • You can change. You can.
    this semester i had to spend quite a lot of mornings without breakfast

i was a lot more cranky those days
  • I do not breakfast, I brunch.
  • I never miss breakfast. I can't imagine the idea of getting up and going to work without it. In fact, I actually need to eat some food to feel OK in the mornings.
  • Forzare,

I have heard of people having that kind of problem. Eating something like an apple or banana first thing and then having a snack a little later on may help solve it. I think that the key thing is that you are not just skipping that meal entirely.

Neo_Crimson,

Does breakfast really take that long to eat though? I mean, putting together a bowl of cereal and some toast or picking up an apple seems to not be that time-consuming to me. That being said, I am not particularly familiar with your situation, so I do not want to assume too much.

captainbrass,
    In fact, I actually need to eat some food to feel OK in the mornings.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you there and I think that what Juan_Carlos said about crankiness gives some more evidence that breakfast can help your mood.
  • ...>/////>;; *guilty*

*goes to make waffles*
    Gimme some, Waltz!

And then I'll eat the waffles, of course.
  • Coffee counts as breakfast, right? Right?
  • ^^ *wiping syrup and butter off mouth* Whah? Ohhhh sorry. n///////n;;;;
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I usually have something light and a glass of orange juice.

Seriously, orange juice is like ambrosia to me.
  • ^ I find it has an after-taste. I like actual oranges though. And orange squash.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    >Spain
    >8:45 AM
    >Teenagers hanging around in the school entrance
    >Lol I can't wait till recess I haven't had breakfast so damn hungry
    >They are all smoking
  • I fucking love breakfast.
  • I don't really like most breakfast foods, but I still eat breakfast anyway.

Albeit it usually consists of cantelope and yogurt.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Milk with Colacao and potato chips=breakfast of the gods
  • ^^^^ Smoking kills your appetite, of course. That's one reason a lot of people, especially those who worry about their appearance, smoke.
  • The way my studies are (early, late, and not very active), I'm typically in greater need of sleeping time than food.  That and I don't usually get an appetite until about two hours into the day, anything earlier and I feel like it wouldn't even stay down.
  • Even when I don't want to spend time fixing breakfast for some reason- even something simple like cereal- I almost always manage to grab something like a granola bar, a piece of fruit, or something from a vending machine. Hunger just ends up distracting me otherwise, and it takes barely any time and effort to do at least that.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    I have to get up at 6:00 AM, leave the house by 6:35, and get to school by7:20-7:45 just so I can get the utterly insubstantial breakfast that my high school offers, I don't I have the time to make my own breakfast in the mornings.
    wake up earlier?
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    no.
    how can i debate with such powerful and overbearing logic
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    Amusingly (well, I find it amusing) seeing this thread reminded me that I had to skip breakfast today because I woke up too late. Now on break I didn't really had a feeling of hunger and would have skipped it too, if I wouldn't have been reminded through this thread that I haven't eaten anything yet.
  • I think if I actually skipped breakfast completely I'd have a gnawing hunger in my gut all afternoon. @_@
  • edited 2011-11-16 11:37:22
    Another benefit of breakfast is that eating your first meal of the day speeds up your metabolism. Eating your first meal basically tells your body that it's time to get out of sleep-mode, and thus helps you burn more calories throughout the day. Waiting until lunch before eating means that you waste several hours of calorie burning.

As un-intuitive as it may sound, it's far easier to lose weight if you make sure you eat a healthy breakfast every day than if you consistently skip the meal.