If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

FFVIII's junctioning system

edited 2011-11-09 04:45:10 in Media
Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy

I have to "draw" magics? And then they're limited use? 

Haha? Pay? For limited use spells? Screw you, then.

Meh, I'll adapt eventually. I might come to love it, even.

Comments

• I had the game broken in half before I reached the end of disc one. The only way it could be more broken is if I had the Lionheart.
  • edited 2011-11-09 04:53:08
    Diet NEET
    The Shumi are Space Jews, what with the greed and big noses, so this sort of behaviour is pretty much expected of them. :3
  • I enjoyed turning NORG into a small star.

Why did he turn into a small start when I chopped his face off anyway?
  • edited 2011-11-09 05:37:14
    Psst. The spell from that draw point is Ultima, it's worth it. You'll need to draw a bunch of times for it to be worth junctioning, though.

But yeah, screw the whole junctioning system.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    >not abusing Cards and refining for creating magic to Junction

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I think Spoony had a video in his ten-part series on FFVIII that was pretty much just bitching about the drawing system.
  • edited 2011-11-09 09:45:33

"I have to "draw" magics? And then they're limited use?"

Might have been interesting if they actually were. But Square has no sense of game balance. At the very least, they could have checked the glaring oversight of repeatedly switching command menus until you get a Limit Break.

^^And that's why.

The closest thing FFVIII had to a good idea was bosses and enemies leveling with you, but evidently they managed to fuck up something Bioware and the WRPG community have mastered for years.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^
    That was the worst part of it :/
    No point to levelling at all.
    So the worst part... was it removed the need for grind?

Is this one of those things where I have to respect differing tastes?
    ^
    It removed the need for levels.
    I'd say levels still serve a purpose; being a clear progression of abilities you get to use. I mean, leveling still got you new powers after all.
  • Oh god I hated that system almost as much as the fucking card game with its fucked-up changing rules.
    ^^
    Yeah but you could just keep junction 99 spells to attack + HP and it wouldn't ever matter.
  • I just refined my cards. Made things infinitely easier. 
  • "Oh god I hated that system almost as much as the fucking card game with its fucked-up changing rules."

At least Triple Triad had consistent rules and was easy enough to understand. Now Tetra Master, it's like actually playing the first season version of Duel Monsters that YuGiOh The Abridged Series mocked for nobody knowing how to play the game.