If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Hey Americans! It's election day today! Don't forget to vote if you're 18 or older!

edited 2011-11-08 15:22:21 in Politics
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Just wanted to remind everyone that today's election day.  And while it's an "off year" with no presidential or standard congressional races, there are still a TON of things being voted on.

Are you in Maine?  Then you get to vote on whether same-day voter registration should be allowed to continue.  I'd really recommend a yes vote, because same-day voter registration (i.e. you can get registered and vote on the same day) is really great for people who are busy.

Are you in Ohio?  You get to say whether a union-busting bill that your legislature and governor passed early this year gets to stay law, or is defeated by a citizen referendum.  Say no if you don't like it.

Are you in Kentucky?  You get to vote on all your statewide elected officials!

Are you in Mississippi?  You get to vote on all your statewide elected officials, AND your legislature, PLUS you get to say whether you believe a fertilized human ovum should count as a person!  (Say no if you don't.)

Are you in Arizona or Michigan?  If so, you might be in a place with a recall election!  The Arizona state senate president, Russell Pearce (R), and Michigan house district 51 representative Paul Scott (R), are both being recalled--the first against another Republican, the latter in an up/down recall vote (i.e. "vote yes or no to the idea of recalling").

Are you in New Jersey or Virginia?  You've got regularly-scheduled state legislature elections right now!  Don't live in either of those states?  Check Wikipedia to see whether your state legislature has elections this year.

Are you in Oregon?  If you live in the 1st U.S. House district, you have a primary race (i.e. choose the candidates nominated by the parties) for the special election to replace David Wu.

And there are a ton of other state legislature races, all across the country--in Georgia, Iowa, Mississippi, Missouri, New York, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.

And then there are all the municipal elections.  I'll be voting for town council, board of ed, and other municipal candidates for my town when I head out in about an hour.  And a ton of major cities are having mayoral races too, including Houston, Philly, SLC, Phoenix, Tuscon, San Fran, Boise, and many more!

For more info on some of the higher-profile races:
http://elections.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/07/1034117/-Daily-Kos-Elections-pocket-guide-to-the-Nov-8,-2011-elections
http://elections.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/05/1033568/-State-legislative-special-election-roundup-for-Nov-8,-2011

----

And yeah, I know, I said "Americans" to mean "USA citizens".  So what?  I made you look, at least!

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    And yeah, I know, I said "Americans" to mean "USA citizens". So what? I made you look, at least!

raeg

now i must raep glenn

-raeps glenn-
  • Are you in Ohio? You get to say whether a union-busting bill that your legislature and governor passed early this year gets to stay law, or is defeated by a citizen referendum. Say no if you don't like it.
    Did that.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Oh shit, I forgot to go vote.  :l

And I just turned 18 too.
  • The voting for sheriff took place today. I'm not old enough to vote, so...
  • I essentially had no idea this is happening. And I'm sick, I can barely even study, let alone go out and vote. And oh yeah, I only go to school here in Massachusetts. I don't even live off-campus. So politics here have basically no bearing on me.
    I just realized I forgot to remind a bunch of my friends to vote.

Oh well.

At least it's not an on-year.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "Are you in Maine?  Then you get to vote on whether same-day voter registration should be allowed to continue.  I'd really recommend a yes vote, because same-day voter registration (i.e. you can get registered and vote on the same day) is really great for people who are busy."

Did that, bro. :3

" I'm not old enough to vote, so"

Since when am I older than you? Oh, Internet.
    I'm adding Forzare for the list of people I have to bug sometime mid next year to register.
  • I voted in my local elections. 
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    rawr
    @Forzare, @Evergreen, @Hatter: My fellow Connecticut...ans? ese? ish?: http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-election-database-1108,0,2912589.htmlpage

Check it until it gives you results.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    For some reason I thought you were from Massachusetts, Glenn.
    Damnit, we lost the turnout game, badly.

In our town, that is.  Dems had a baseline turnout of 1600-2000, while Repubs had a baseline turnout of 2100-2700.
  • ^ Unfortunately, the social groups who tend to vote for liberal/left parties (the young, working class people, ethnic minorities) often have lower turnouts in elections than those that swing right. And there does seem to be a lot of disillusion with Obama right now, although I don't know how far that would affect these kind of local elections. 
    Yeah, same-day voter registration got reinstated in Maine, the union-busting bill in Ohio went bust itself, and Mississippians decided that fetuses are not people.  Arizona state senate president Russell Pearce, author of the infamous "papers please" anti-illegal-immigration law, was successfully recalled (albeit replacing him with a Republican, though a less crazy one), a recall against Republican Michigan state rep Paul Scott was approved by voters, and Dems held onto the Iowa state senate with a blowout win in special election a swing district.

The big exception to all this is that Repubs gained 2 seats in the Virginia state senate, putting the chamber at a tie of 20-20 so Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling (a Republican) will be doing tiebreaking, so effectively the Dems lost that chamber and the Repubs now have a trifecta in Virginia.  Though this is pending the result of a recount in an extremely close race, as far as I knew last night.
  • Nothing here in Sacramento country, CA.