If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Health class

BeeBee
edited 2011-11-06 20:39:52 in General
Okay, so this class is enough of a joke as is -- for a sense of perspective, under the section for exercise the text specifically instructs to "watch out for obstacles that may make you trip and fall" and has yet to teach anything that wasn't common knowledge by eighth grade.

So now we're on the section for body composition.  They start right off with BMI, which is so hotly contested as anything remotely reliable that I don't even know why people still bother teaching it.  Then they go into a "case study" where some drooling dumbass helpful fellow college peer expresses their confusion at why their bodies hate them.  This particular one, a college senior proceeds to display zero knowledge of density.  She then says that she wants to lose weight -- and looking at the provided picture, she's got an even smaller frame than me.

How is it possible for a class to be such a goddamn waste of oxygen?!

Edit:  They just defined "android" to mean "apple-shaped" and "gynoid" to mean "pear-shaped".

Comments

• "They just defined "android" to mean "apple-shaped" and "gynoid" to mean "pear-shaped"."

Ah, obesity.

Let me guess, all the other electives were taken.

• BeeBee
    edited 2011-11-06 21:06:45
    No, everyone who comes through this college has to take this specific class regardless of major.  It's the only one that they don't even let you pick from a list of classes for a general requirement.

Coincidentally it also requires every student to purchase a $120 book full of arbitrary disconnected facts to regurgitate wholesale, as well as a $50 clicker to take polls that they could have done for free on the online service we already use for assignments.
  • edited 2011-11-06 21:09:57
    8th grade health class was easy but boring. We had like 300 vocab words and had to write them all down, than take a test.

Not sure when it is this year, either next unit or the one after.
  • No rainbow star
    Sounds like it's a class meant to gouge you out of money
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^^^They're making you take Health class in goddamn college?!
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-11-06 21:58:08
    ^^ Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the entire purpose. Supplies aside, the midterm consisted entirely of barfing up randomly selected facts and statistics out of context from a 300-page book -- basically the format they use when they're specifically trying to fail half the class.

We were asked questions about stuff like the 8 or so different systems of nutrition recommendations that are almost all permutations of the same 4 or so initials and all basically come down to "we think you should eat this much!" but have teeny pedantic differences.

Also their holistic plan in the appendix has no goddamn idea what "holistic" actually means. Granted it's more holistic than anything involving BMI, but that's kind of a default.
  • Doesn't sound like much of a class...

No mandatory health class here at college. I took something like one voluntarily first semester freshman year, it counted for a PE credit and was therefore like pass/fail or whatever. It was actually pretty good, and not really a full-on health class. More like half that, half getting-used-to-college-in-general.

In my private middle/high school we had mandatory health classes in 7th and 9th grade, then once you got into the second half of high school (junior/senior) and electives came around, you had to take it at some point within those two years, though when was up to you, and juniors and seniors were mixed together. (Wait, that's how all electives worked, never mind...) Of course it was always awkward or worse. I feel bad for the teacher, especially in ninth grade, where she fled the room crying once. The class was all guys except for like two girls, you can probably imagine how that was.

But here in college, they give you lots of talks and stuff, and I'm actually living on our pitiful little substance-free floor this year (long story, I would stick the quick details in but then the post would just be even longer), but no mandatory health. And if there was, I'm not sure who'd teach it. Or what kind of quality it would be.
  • It's kind of weird because they're making me take a physical activity course too. I mean at least that one is fun (swimming), but it just makes the "health and fitness" class seem that much more superfluous.

Not to mention the fact that they didn't accept three years of marching band at my old college as acceptable physical activity. It's like, have you seen our field rehearsals? You try marching for three hours in the rain while blowing every breath you take into the several ponds of metal tubing you're hauling with you and tell me that's not physical fucking activity.
  • Everyone at my college has to take two credits of what counts as PE. The choices are quite varied. Like how there's the First Year Experience class that involves very little physical activity. Fencing is another popular one for the not-traditionally athletic...that was my second credit, it was fairly fun and I've been fencing since 7th grade and still suck, but whatever.

I know some schools have a swimming requirement. We do not, and if we did I might not have come here. (I really want to digress on that, but it wouldn't help the coherence of the post at all. We need hottips here!) Fun fact: Our pool was closed when I first arrived two years ago because it was getting critically outdated and fixing it up would have cost more than we could handle. It sat like that until a few months ago, when renovations began. We'll have it back by next semester at this rate.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-11-06 23:39:25
    Yeah there's not really any wanting for variety in offered PE classes here, just that for some reason they don't count marching band. I mean really, chances are the afore-described scenario is a TAD more vigorous than one hour of bowling or pilates.