If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Morally Superior: Want to be them, always hate them.

AHRAHR
edited 2011-11-06 18:27:52 in General
There is nothing more annoying than the person who says that both sides are wrong, and that you're acting irrational, and that you should listen to their almighty morality and blah blah blah.

Until of course you become that person, in which case you do indeed, feel morally superior to the idiots around you.

Ah, vicious cycle.

Comments

• edited 2011-11-07 20:34:17
    Loser
    I think what you mentioned is part of the reason why giving advice is tough. I mean, when you tell someone that he or she is doing something wrong and that that person should do things a certain way, I feel like it is very difficult to not come off as morally superior or self-righteous. At the same time, if you do know how to do something and can help someone out using your talents, is it not a bit selfish not to do that?

As for the whole "idiots around you" issue, one solution to this problem may be to think about about the possibility that while you know what to do better in certain situations those "idiots" probably have certain times when they know better than you do. If you think of things that way, no one is really morally superior, they just have different talents and expertise. If that seems unconvincing to you, maybe you can try to reflect on the idea that one part of morality is not looking down on others.

I am not sure if any of this made that much sense though, so sorry about that. In any event, I agree that it can be tough to resist the feeling that that you are morally superior to other people when they make mistakes that you would not or have not made.