If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Revelations.

edited 2011-11-06 14:25:16 in Philosophy
[tɕagɛn]
WTF happened?

The bible is strange in many parts.......but Revelations is just ridiculous. WTF was up with John?

I remember getting the part where John is told to eat a book given to him by an angel--that is apparently ridiculously sweet--and thinking "Okay, this guy is dropping some serious acid"

Comments

• edited 2011-11-06 14:27:29
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Say what you will about its sanity, but it makes for some great metal.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    It's heavily metaphorical in ways that would only make sense to those alive when it was written, as I understand it.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^Indeed, wasn't making the number of the beast 666 a direct stab at Emperor Nero?
  • You can change. You can.
    I thought it was basic numerology (6 being imperfection and all)

of course, history was probably involved, too.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    It was actually 616 in the original version.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I like to interpret Jesus slaying the anti-christ by the breath of his mouth meaning Christ will return as a dragon.
    And I like to pretend it was Jesus prophetizing the true revelations

Final Crisis.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
  • The point with Revelation is that it's a written in a whole tradition of prophetic visions which included, for symbolic purposes, stuff that sounded as if the writer had been on acid. Isiah saw the throne of God surrounded by many-winged creatures. Ezekiel saw a valley of dry bones and, like John, ate a scroll. That was the sort of thing that was expected to happen to those who had visions of God.

And, to be honest, would you be terribly impressed if you actually saw the Creator of the Universe and nothing out of the ordinary happened in the encounter? God is supposed to be awe-inspiring, or He comes across like the Wizard of Oz in the film - just a guy behind a curtain.

• edited 2011-11-06 15:28:46
    Kichigai birthday!!
    I'm not even a Christian,but the Apocalypse sounds pretty interesting. The book I mean,I'm not some edgy teen
    @Malkavian: Indeed. Also, that's my favorite take on it :D