If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

where does using no caps or punctuation to indicate that you aren't serious come from

edited 2011-11-06 01:42:28 in Webspace
Pony Sleuth
you know like this

i've used it before and i've seen other people use it

i thought it was an imitation of dave strider from homestuck but i see people using it who i don't think read it

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    Well, it seems logical.

ALL CAPS MEANS HYPEREMOTIONAL STATEMENT

no caps means serious statement.
  • i tend to use nocaps for deadpan or mocking statements

CAPS LOCK ARE FOR HAMMY STATEMENTS
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    i just do it because I'm occasionally too lazy to press the shift key.
    ^that too
  • And by serious you mean not serious?

I don't want to get confused by "Today is not Opposite Day." bullshit.
    sorry, meant "serious tone" like deadpan stuff, yeah
  • Well I guess I've been reading it wrong this whole time.
  • Clean your room little Billy
    I thought it was because people who don't use puntuation or capitalisation tend to be absolute assclowns with opinions varying from asinine to horrifying. Bonus points for horrible spelling.
  • edited 2011-11-08 09:39:00
    [tɕagɛn]
    I use no punctuation to indicate that my words are supposed to be read in a "so shocked/bewildered that all I can do is talk in a blank and flat tone" voice.

Except for my last sentence in a whole post. I never put a period on the last sentence
  • No rainbow star
    ^ I rarely use a period on the last sentence before a line break/end of the post
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    I thought I was the only one!

However, I only do it when writing in English. In Spanish,my grammar is always impecable
    bullshit and slander
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    yo hescribo como los puros anjeles,
    >Yo en vez de "io"

eres una puta vergüenza >:|
  • a little muffled
    i use it as like a flat what type of deal
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    i use it as like a flat what type of deal
  • This thread makes me think of the TVT forum user Commander Obvious, who does it as a sort of affected persona, essentially passive trolling...
  • edited 2011-11-08 19:01:06
    Has friends besides tanks now
    What my clone and Nyktos said. Well, I don't think I've ever posted like that, but I'm pretty sure that's how you're supposed to do it.
  • Edward Estlin Cummings was a poet who wrote like that (no caps).  In the early days of computers a lot of systems had no lower case.  But I suspect this dates from more recent times, because ALL CAPS IS SHOUTING, all lower case is the opposite.

Personally, i sometimes wonder if it might be better if we didn't capitolize first - person pronouns.

• Heheh "Cummings".
    This thread makes me think of the TVT forum user Commander Obvious, who
    does it as a sort of affected persona, essentially passive trolling...

Have you seen him when he's actually serious? He's rather insightful during the rare occasions he is...
    for a wild and loose definition of insightful, at any rate.
  • They're somethin' else.
    I actually like Commander Obvious. He's quite chumly.
  • edited 2011-11-09 03:54:02
    @Juan_Carlos: Did you see his talk about anti-psychiatry, and whenever his cynicism really shows?

I guess for me, it's less about him being insightful, and more of the cynicism.
  • edited 2011-11-09 04:37:02
    Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy

Commander Obvious is obfuscatingly awesome and even more so when he's serious.  I have him to thank for a good introduction to SHAFT. (not shafting, you dirty f**k.)

Meh, I am too busy being realistic to empathize or sympathize with cynicism.

Also, if you want a SHAFT intro, you might as well watch Madoka and get it over with, really. Or the monogatari series, if you liked Twilight. 
  • Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy
    Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei, ftw.
    go away. only blackmoon gets to like that >:|
  • Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy
    Deeaaal with it. :D
  • edited 2011-11-09 14:55:12
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Maria Holic > Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei
  • edited 2011-11-09 15:03:13
    Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy

"Maria Holic revolves around a lesbian high school girl, Kanako Miyamae, who is scared of boys and breaks out in hives if a boy touches her."

Hmm...

I don't know how to react.

Brb nosebleed