If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The way My Little Pony shoehorns itself into every single aspect of human life.

edited 2011-11-05 13:56:49 in IJAM
Give them pleasure - the same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.
For example, here it is in the Wall Street Journal.

I originally spotted the article on the front page when I had to make scans of stuff for my government class. :D

Naturally, I made a scan of it, and am now contemplating its inclusion in the summary & opinion project I have to do.

Comments

• "The characters aren't one-dimensional," said 15-year-old Christian Leisner, a brony in the Berkeley group. "They have flaws, they have backgrounds they're ashamed of."

What a revolutionary breakthrough!

Why are you reading the Wall Street Journal anyway?

• edited 2011-11-05 14:01:09
    Give them pleasure - the same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.
    Because college.

My favorite part:

"After the show launched in October 2010, video clips began appearing on
    4chan, a website that largely draws geeky, tech-savvy guys."

Something is missing from that description....
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > "Pegasisters"

RAEG AT THEIR ENCROACHING ON AN ICONIC FIRE EMBLEM TRADITION
  • edited 2011-11-05 14:10:52
    Pony Sleuth
    ^^^It's My Little Pony. That bit of info might not set it apart from other works, but it's news to a lot of people.

^Don't worry about that. Even the fans hate that term and "brony" is unisex, so it's bound to fall out of usage except among the dorkiest fans.

Which still means a quarter of the fandom will use it, but oh well.
  • Well, I guess it's more newsworthy than a 2-year-old's "art".
  • edited 2011-11-05 14:13:38
    No rainbow star
    ...Wait, bronies prefer hand made merchandise and even buying pipecleaner ponies?

...Either those are damn elaborate pipecleaner ponies or else I need to make pony art and make some money off of it
  • I wonder what all the other people in that restaurant made of the group of young guys sitting around with their toys watching the cartoon. Actually, you have to admire their balls for doing that in public.
  • edited 2011-11-05 14:20:42

(rereads article)

"Fifteen young men in this hotbed of activism gathered at an Indian restaurant on a recent Sunday and made an appeal: Could the waiter please switch the TV from the news to "My Little Pony"?"

"hotbed of activism"

Now I'm thankful that I don't have to put up with US "news".

Also, why an Indian restaurant? If you wanted to do white things, why not do it at a white restaurant?

• Why not do it at an Indian restaurant?
  • edited 2011-11-05 14:26:46
    I think I was just reminded of how Americanized everything has become. The idea of playing English TV such as sports in an Asian restaurant probably merits an IJBM by itself (and yes, I know the food isn't authentic Asian cuisine either).
  • ^ In the UK, there are few whiter places than your average Indian restaurant. Indian people can make their own Indian food (and that's often different from the menu most Indian restaurants serve up anyway).
  • To be honest, from my perspective, unless it was a soccer match, I don't think there were any faux pas commited.
  • ^^^ What else would you play in an Asian restaurant? 
  • I've never understood the problem with American Commercialization,
  • The problem is that it's not un-american, I suppose.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^^^ Martial arts movies.
  • edited 2011-11-05 15:17:11
    * It's Indian, not Chinese or Japanese. I think Bollywood movies/Indian pop videos would be more appropriate.
  • ^^ I can just imagine watching Way of the Dragon while eating sushi.
  • You can change. You can.
    IJBM: The fact that this is in IJAM

It's as annoying as I suppose Beatlemania to be, Jesus. 
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Wait, it's in IJAM?
  • Holy shit, I just realized this was IJAM.
    slow fuckers, all of you. 
  • YOU'RE TOO S- nevermind.
  • edited 2011-11-05 15:35:41
    No rainbow star
    ^^ To be fair, I'm on my phone. It only says the category if I make a new thread from the thread I'm reading
    >2011
    >Using a phone to go into IJBM
  • Yeah, it pisses me off when other people like what I dislike.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^ I tend not to use computers before 6
  • edited 2011-11-05 16:43:30
    Loser
    Jessica Blank, a 32-year-old computer programmer who is BroNYCon's organizer, says people inevitably ask her whether the bronies—three-quarters of whom are male—are gay. "Actually, the overwhelming majority are straight," she says.

Why would someone's interests be evidence of that person's sexual orientation anyway? I could kind of understand the question if it was asking about gender identity and such, but I cannot say I see the link between liking ponies and liking men. Also, why would you even ask whether so-called "bronies" are gay anyway?

captainbrass,
    I wonder what all the other people in that restaurant made of the group of young guys sitting around with their toys watching the cartoon. Actually, you have to admire their balls for doing that in public.

Yeah, even if they were watching some cartoon targeted at boys or something like Pokemon, I still think they would run the risk of getting stares. I guess that shows that they really do not care what other people think about stuff like that. I agree with you that that takes some guts considering how appealing it may be to hide your power level.

Yeah, it pisses me off when other people like what I dislike.

yeah, see, i used the beatles comparison to make the point that i don't mind the ponies being this ubiquitous, i just have a problem with anything being this ubiquitous.