If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"They have a word for everything nowadays"

edited 2011-11-05 11:04:40 in Philosophy
Has friends besides tanks now
Um . . . isn't the purpose of any given language to efficiently convey a concept from one person to another? What's wrong with learning new words that describe new concepts?

I think this is justifiable when referring to concepts that don't carry the same connotations as paralleled words (for instance, my English teacher says that, despite the existence of the word "misandry", it functionally isn't the diametric opposite of "misogyny" and doesn't often carry the same meaning behind it, when contemplated to a sufficient degree). But if it's just someone who's surprised that there are terms that are becoming relevant, they're missing the point of communication.

I don't see this sentiment expressed that often, but, expressed in earnest, it strikes me as being monumentally anti-intellectual, if not simply counterproductive.

Comments

• edited 2011-11-05 14:05:06
    Pony Sleuth
    Anyone who means this lacks imagination. This could only be true if every possible concept had a word assigned to it, or the morphology of a language meant every noun phrase was expressed in a single "word". This is not the case for English, and the use of new words being coined and borrowed should be an indication.

I'm not sure how it's anti-intellectual as opposed to just ignorant. Are these people opposed to learning new words?