If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Lyrebirds

edited 2011-11-03 09:38:01 in IJAM
OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
Basically, tape recorders with feathers. They are awesome.

Comments

• No rainbow star
    ...Anybody else want to teach one to sing Still Alive?
  • That's absolutely amazing. And apparently they are important and admired and used as a symbol in general over there in Australia. So it's not just about the mimicry...though that is incredible.

It's kind of a shame that it's just mimicking and has probably no idea what it's saying...
  • edited 2011-11-03 13:57:29
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Watching that video, I'm amazed enough that I'm almost skeptical. I must inform others of this discovery!
  • edited 2011-11-03 13:58:09
    The video is a hoax. The actual one is no less impressive, though.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Actual video please?
  • I thought it seemed a bit too good to be true, although I read the Wikipedia page on Lyrebirds and it calmed my doubts. Yeah, let's see the real thing please!
  • a little muffled
    The real one.

The fake is really well-done.
  • The real one is quite impressive too, though. Thanks for providing it.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^^^Ah, it is? After checking Wikipedia, I figured they could actually do that stuff...
  • ^Exact same thing in my case as you can see! But yeah, check out Nyktos' post for the real thing...
    -checks-

Ooh, hey, the camera with a motor drive bit was real.
  • Chances are, if you raised a bird like that on show tunes, we could probably get some pretty interesting shit.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    The lyrebirds would be an awesome name for a folk band.
  • Duh, forgot to post the actual video. Sorry!

Anyhow, it bugs me that with the lyrebird being what it is, it would be hard for me to tell if a video is genuine or a hoax.
  • a little muffled
    @INUH: The impersonating his voice exactly bit was a bit much, but I bet it'd be possible to get one to do the Seinfeld theme.
    ^Well, given that I'd already read some article where a guy found one singing a song that sounded familiar, which turned out to be two popular songs from the seventies layered over each other, I just kinda assumed they could do that.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^ It can mimic a chainsaw. Why not a human voice?
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I gotta find one of these and play it a guitar solo.
  • No rainbow star
    I need to get one (somehow... Plane ticket to Australia?) to copy creepy whispering. Actually, make that several. Imagine walking through a forest as creepy whispers surround you :D