If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Stupid, children-hating teachers and bathroom nazis

edited 2011-11-03 04:51:51 in Meatspace
If you're such a callous bitch that you won't let an A-student, incredibly polite young girl go to the bathroom when she starts her period for the first time, you have no fucking business being anywhere near anyone's children.

My best friend's little sister was driven home early today because she was so upset and embarrassed over it. Shit like this shouldn't happen to anyone, least of all her. Her parents are absolutely furious and they're some of the most docile and well-mannered individuals I know, so it's really saying something. The teacher doesn't even have the decency to admit that she was well in the wrong and is being a snarky bitch in a volley of emails between her and the parents.

Her reason for not letting her go to the bathroom was because the poor girl didn't record her homework (in her personal planner, mind you) to the exact specifications of the teacher's way, but then she started fudging around and saying (completely unwarranted) that students sometimes aren't really going to the bathroom.

First of all, people should write in whatever way will make them remember. Second, it's just the bathroom, jesus CHRIST. My old schools are full of goddamn bathroom nazis that get anal and strung up over people taking too long to shit, meeting up with friends instead, etc. It's one thing if you know there's a kid doing it because you caught them or they take like an hour in the bathroom, but not a girl who is nothing short of an angel and has never given anyone any reason to think twice.

I'm so sick of teachers being absolutely crazy over bathroom trips. People shit. People piss. Ladies get visits from Aunt Flo. It kinda happens. I do not care for whatever flimsy rationale they give, because when you gotta go you gotta fucking go and parents shouldn't have to worry about whether or not their child will be made to soil their undies in public because some teacher is on a power trip. Being able to go do your business should be a given.

This problem was in my junior year of high school too, my history teacher was a complete douche that made us hold on to bathroom slips, which we only had 6 of for the entire year. Each time we had to go, we gave one up. He discouraged us from using them by making them worth extra credit points at the end of the semester.

I don't see what one's bowel movements have to do with one's ability to comprehend history.

If you ran out, but still had to go? He'd mark you tardy if you went to the bathroom.

I don't see how one's bowel movements have any impact on whether or not they made it to class on time that day.

I just don't understand it. Why do people who so obviously have no idea how to allow for the basic needs of a child, or even, who relish in keeping them from those needs, decide to teach?

What a load of shit.

Gonna apologize right now for the ranting, but angry Waltzy is extremely fucking angry.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    D:<
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Power-tripping teachers in general are horrible. I hope this particular one gets nailed to the wall for being so callous and pathetic.

I think the worst thing is when they don't take bullying seriously, though. As a teacher, they're in a position of not just academic responsibility, but social responsibility.
  • My friend and I agreed a long time ago that a reasonable large amount of teachers/teaching staff have either an inferiority or a superiority conflict.

We've yet to be proven incorrect. Fuckin' power-tripping, favouritism-showing, logic-hating teachers.
  • They're somethin' else.
    FUCK HER UP!!
  • No rainbow star
    Well, there is no better moment to remind everyone of this phrase than now:

Your friend's sister should shit herself. That'll show 'em
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    And I thought that meme had died long ago.
  • You can change. You can.
    It has.

Doesn't mean it doesn't linger in our hearts.

It's like Jesus in that way.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    He shit himself for your sins.
  • edited 2011-11-03 12:17:31
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    This sort of problem isn't something you should address the teacher directly about. The parents should go to the principal about this.

Also, does this teacher have tenure? Have there been any other incidents involving this teacher? Are bathroom problems endemic in this school?
  • Oh they're definitely talking to the principal, but I don't blame them for wanting to give the teacher a piece of their minds.

This teacher's always been a bitch but she gets to hang around since she's been there a while. I hope it stops.
  • This is ...interesting. I honestly don't remember toilet visits being such a source of drama when I was at school, although I suppose the potential to use them for smoking/time-wasting was probably just as great. I don't know if it's an American thing or a since-my-time thing.

Doesn't really say much for the school generally if there has to be that level of control over natural functions.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^
    When was your time?

As it was never anything serious when I was at school either, you just asked to go and were excused.

• I left high school in 1993. So actually, quite a long time ago now. Oh, God, it's nearly 20 years in fact... 
  • I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    I certainly don't remember having such trouble trying to get to the bathroom (probably because I rarely went to the bathroom at school and went during lunch if I had to), but man, that's just wrong.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to work with children.
    I never had that big a problem with that stuff.

We mostly just had to sign out and take the pass. And only one person could be out at a time.

They did end up locking bathrooms quite often, though, since smoking and drugs were such a big thing in my school.
  • I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    Forzare: Oh man, the bathroom-locking was annoying. I do not remember that fondly.
  • I was going to get annoyed by this thread, since teacher complaining usually brings to mind people complaining that their teacher misplaced their homework, so they have to redo it.

Holy shit.

What the fuck.
  • edited 2011-11-03 15:13:52
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ Tell me about it. At it's worst, they'd only leave one bathroom open, and it was always the most inconvenient one.
  • edited 2011-11-04 16:16:33
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I actually remember it being pretty bad at my school. If you had to go to the bathroom, you had to get the teacher give you a special pass that you had to sign, have the teacher sign, and give the time you left the class. How strict a teacher was about giving out those passes varied, but they were generally okay about that.

The school also had hall monitors and security guards constantly patrolling the halls, and if you didn't have pass they would bring you back to your class and instantly get a detention at the very least.

Then there were some classes (such as study hall), that flat out would not let you go to the bathroom at all. You could get around that by saying you need to go to the nurse's office, though it usually only works once.

• edited 2011-11-03 16:20:07
    ^Where did you go to school? That's a bit...alarming...

There might have been pass-type-things in elementary school for me, but mostly it was no big deal. I got out of public school after that, and at my small private middle/high school, it was also no big deal. I think after a point you didn't even have to ask to go to the bathroom anymore. 

If I was kept from going to the bathroom by the teacher...that would suck. Freedom to use bathrooms is very important to me.

I think these days in general there's been more of a trend towards tighter security and control in many ridiculous ways. I started reading a book about this called "Lockdown High" back in the summer, but never finished.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^If you think that's bad, you should have seen their cell phone policy...
  • edited 2011-11-03 17:11:29
    I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    Forzare: At my middle and high schools they were pretty random and sporadic with when and where they locked bathrooms, so especially during the afternoon you'd have to run around the school and find a bathroom that's open.

Worst comes to worst I guess you could also just go in a bush outside, but there were also security cameras everywhere outside so I don't know what would have happened if you actually did that. Could you actually get in trouble for going in a bush on school grounds?
    I would imagine that you would get in lots of trouble for that.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    A lot of these schools sound really strict in comparison.
    I mean hall monitors and passes?
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    It was somewhat understandable in my school. Despite being in a rich neighborhood, a lot of shit went on behind the scenes.
  • There's something really weird about the obsession with controlling toilet behaviour here. It's like there's something Freudian going on...

It's also fair to say that in adult workplaces people have been known to use lavatory visits to waste time (I plead guilty), smoke and even take drugs (not me), but people would go nuts if this sort of level of control were imposed. Where employers do monitor that sort of thing, like some call centres and sweatshop factories in places like China, they're usually regarded as really bad employers for it. A bit of a double-standard, perhaps.

At my school it was mostly because kids were always leaving class and going to the bathroom to smoke/do drugs.
  • It's just so baffling, this incessant loathing for kids needing to go to the bathroom. The teachers at my high school were particularly bad, as in addition to that history teacher I mentioned earlier, the music teacher docked a participation point if you went, and on top of that seemed determined to turn it into a shaming experience by making you carry a giant trophy to the bathroom as a pass.

I could maybe understand the participation point thing, and one might say, "just go during another class/during break", but you can't make yourself do it earlier in some cases, and with "other classes" = history class or otherwise, classes with teachers that have equally way too rigid bathroom penalties, bottom line is you're going to take a hit somewhere for a very stupid reason.
  • Erudite Meathead
    If only they do it like in college/university from the very beginning.