If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Freaking out over not-perfect reviews.

edited 2011-11-02 18:55:12 in Webspace
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
So Eurogamer gave Uncharted 3 an 8.

Oh no. They only think it's really good. 

This shit happens all the time. Toy Story 3, The Dark Knight, Halo 3, Gears of War 3, all obsessing over these numbers as though that magically validates their fandom in the eyes of some weird pseudo-artistic literary canon except not actually because art games are for fags. 

I love Rotten Tomatoes (less so Metacritic) but people should using it to measure their damn e-peen.

Comments

• It's like a straight A student getting a B, except more stupid because review scores for other people's work don't get you scholarships.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    With videogame reviews, an 8 for a triple-A game is rather low.

Generally, the scale is that a 10 means it's above average, a 9 means it's worth playing, an 8 means it could have used polish, a 7 means it's pretty bad, and anything below that means the reviewer thinks it's one of the worst games released.
  • edited 2011-11-02 19:11:33

"a 7 means it's pretty bad, and anything below that means the reviewer thinks it's one of the worst games released."

I'm betting that loads of people miss out on plenty of great games then. Oh wait, you said triple-A. Well now, there's a scaling factor based on popularity or production values?

• edited 2011-11-02 19:12:05
    Then the system is screwed up and the point that people shouldn't pay attention to the reviews is even more true and especially shouldn't rage if someone uses a more reasonable scale. 

Honestly, I think that it's a combination of marketing reacharounds and grade inflation that results in so many 9.9s and 10s, both of which aren't good.
  • edited 2011-11-02 19:12:07
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Oh, I definitely agree with that. Games journalism is on the level of a fifth-grade school newspaper.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    It's also an issue I have with numbered reviews, and you can say that movie reviews have numbers too, I've never seen Roger Ebert give a movie he though was shit three stars.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, movie reviews tend to at least be smart about applying numbers.

Though I don't like numbers at all. If the review can be summarized in a single digit, why did the author bother writing it out?
  • edited 2011-11-02 19:21:47

"I've never seen Roger Ebert give a movie he though was shit three stars."

I sincerely doubt video game reviewers do this either. Maybe someone will pull a counterexample to show I'm wrong, but how do I know that a reviewer thinks 7 is actually bad rather than merely mediocre and that it's not the Net exaggerating as usual?

• edited 2011-11-02 19:25:03
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Pretty sure I saw a review of Shadow the Hedgehog that was going on and on about how it was total shit and nobody should ever play it, but gave it a 6.5 or 7...

But mostly, what I mean is that numbered game reviews almost always focus on the positive to the point of ignoring glaring flaws. Did the plot suck? Who cares? It was cinematic! The multiplayer experience isn't lacking anything every other multiplayer experience has!
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    Bluh bluh Eight Point Eight (Miss Serket's favorite trope? ;:::)), Four Point Scale, and so on.

It's what you get when the people who review games are paid by those who publish those games.
  • You can change. You can.
    AV Club gave it a C, I think.

Yeah, it's more of the same. Of course, if you like that, then I don't see why you shouldn't buy it. 

I think that while I loved U2 (tee hee) and I thought it was the best game of its year (Regardless of Arkham Asylum's existence) I'd say that the roles were reversed this time. Mostly because City actually tries and improves on what the original game did, while, from what I've heard of U3 the game is pretty much U2 without the charm.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    So I went onto RT to see if I could find any crazy 'bad movie' reviews and decided to start with Freddy Vs. Jason, a personal favorite of mine reviled by critics. One of the negative reviews said.

"Scary, gory, nightmare-inducing slasher."

IN WHAT WAY IS ANY WORD IN THAT A  BAD THING FOR A MOVIE CALLED FREDDY VS. JASON?!
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    When it's about Freddie Mercury and Jason Biggs? :B
    I bet it was a christianfag

that's a word now

deal with it
  • edited 2011-11-02 19:45:28
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Horror movies never get good reviews.  :(

I actually really enjoyed Freddy vs. Jason, for what it was.
  • I remember the shitstorm that was raised when Cole Smithy (AKA Chris-Chan's half brother) gave Toy Story 3 a negative review. A lot of people started saying stupidity must run in the family, among other things.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    Horror movies never get good reviews.

Depends. Are they Hitchcock or slashers?
  • edited 2011-11-02 19:47:16
    ^^^Freddy Vs. Jason was actually a hell of a lot better than it had any right to be, and it's obvious Ronny Yu wanted to make something worth watching and put more thought into it than a lot of either franchise's proper films had.

^Psycho is a slasher. =P
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    It was a lot of fun too, because I watched it with my best friend, who was really into Nightmare on Elm Street, whereas I was really into Friday the 13th.
    Psycho is a slasher.

To me, that's like calling MC5 punk. It's not a lie, but it's not entirely true either. 
  • edited 2011-11-02 19:52:17
    Like just simple things like Freddy sole scenes having red overtones and Jason's having ominous blues. It might not sound like much, but a lot of 'proper' movies don't give that much attention to detail (not to mention lighting work) Not to mention there actually is a lot of Freddy Versus Jason going on, as opposed to most versus movies where they just build up to ten minutes of fighting at the end.

^I'd say it counts as the first 'real' example. A bunch of disturbing kills, the villain being more compelling than the protagonist, and a number of shameful sequels.

Hell, if we want to go back, John Carpenter said part of Halloween's inspiration was The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    as opposed to most versus movies where they just build up to ten minutes of fighting at the end

Yeah, Kamen Rider Decade, fuck that guy ;)

I'd want to see Freddy vs Jason vs Michael Myers.
    Like I said, MC5 counts as punk, but it's so different from what you normally call punk that it barely counts.

It's more like a proto slasher, really.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I need to watch that movie again.  It's been years, and I bet I'd actually notice a lot more of the little details this time around.
  • edited 2011-11-02 19:57:11
    ^^^There were plans for a Freddy Vs. Jason Vs. Ash film that fell through because Sam Raimi wanted Ash to unambiguously win and in versus films they want to keep things ambiguous.

Though really, Ash is the only heroic one of the three. He should win.

Also, Rolfe's Monster Madness reminded me of despite how awesome the original Halloween was, thanks to things like Busta Rhymes kung-fu fighting Myers, it's by average the worst of the major slasher franchises.

Honestly, I want a Chucky Vs. Leprechaun movie. ;)
  • edited 2011-11-02 19:57:08
    Anyway, I think it's worse when a fandom mad about a game rages about good reviews.

I remember forcing myself to read the Bioware forums when Dragon Age 2 came out and everyone started bitching about every decent to good review, and claiming every single reviewer was paid off. 
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    So your average fan is Comic Book Guy? :B
    I'm so murdering you right now, Kinky