If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"All germans are nazis!"

2»

Comments

• I think of the scientists, though sometimes I get mixed up with Austria.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I think of my girlfriend and rauchbier when thinking of Germany.
  • No rainbow star
    I think of Germans when I think of Germans
  • German makes me think of the Germanic language family, which makes me remember how much I want to learn Icelandic and Dutch.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ The number of languages you want to learn is... Guh
  • Eh, Dutch'll be easy. It's so similar to German that some linguists first wanted to consider them to be dialects of the same language.

...That happens more than you'd think in Germanic. No one is really quite sure if Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish are seperate language or just dialects of the same language.
  • The stereotype of Germans being Nazis is still rolled out occasionally by the tabloid press over here, although probably not as much as it was when I was a kid. You probably get more jokes now about Germans always being the first to the hotel sun loungers on holiday or about their "dull but efficient" football team.
  • ^^Hahaha, oh wow. I wouldn't go that far.

The grammar is different(Dutch has no Latin-esque nominative, accusative etc. modes) and there are plenty of false friends. Dutch is a pretty friendly language to learn(simple rules, shitton of exceptions), but using German as a starting point leads to harm instead of headstart. Also, display even the slightest hint of an accent and a Dutchman will immediately switch to English, much to the chagrin of the learner.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Not even John Cleese's?

... alright, maybe. xD
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    When I see Germans I immediately think Habsburgs and Hohenzollerns and Wittelsbachs, oh my.