If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Blanket opposition to trope renames on TV Tropes

2»

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > "If You Know What I Mean" is something that anyone would recognize and
    understand. Even "Nudge Nudge" is not that hard to figure out.

That, and both of these phrases, as well as "nudge nudge wink wink", can also be used in fiction to refer to describe person A trying to dog-whistle something completely non-sexual (and often non-humorous too) to person B.  Which is not the trope.
  • Of course, this implies that potholes are not lampshades, which is a lie.

On that note, something similar would apply to Incredibly Lame Pun.
    I don't like IncrediblyLamePun at all.

{{Pun}} ought to just be its own trope.

IncrediblyLamePun should be a YMMV about bad puns.
  • edited 2011-11-02 17:27:14
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Also, using MemeticMutation to indicate memes.  That also really bugs me.

Not all memes get mutated.  Those that do are mutated by different amounts.

There should be an article for "meme" itself.  And then the article for MemeticMutation ought to be about the PROCESS by which memes are mutated and adapted to other contexts.

Example of a meme that has little or no mutation: "Zerg Rush kekekekekekeke".  Rarely spotted outside of references to Starcraft, especially South Korean players, if not, almost always within the realm of real-time strategy games.

In contrast, the whole YTP phenomenon is basically like RNA-based mutagenicity on steroids.
  • I had always assumed Memetic Mutation meant something from a work mutating into meme material. Rereading the page, it simply describes memes.
    I would immediately now throw up a TRS thread about it but the site admins do not want more TRS threads unfortunately.

This is one that I am working on, and where my talking about rename debates comes from: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=1297837054093560100&page=1
  • You can change. You can.
    Memetic Mutation was, originally, of course, about memes taking a quote or exchange and mutating it into something different. Sadly, it has become basically "Memes". We thought about fixing it, but we decided to roll with it. So yeah, technically, there's no misuse there. 

So...Memetic Mutation mutated into Memetic Mutation. Yeah

I don't like IncrediblyLamePun at all.

{{Pun}} ought to just be its own trope.

IncrediblyLamePun should be a YMMV about bad puns.

ILP is supposed to be about puns being seen as cringeworthy in-universe. Tropers used that instead of pun itself (Which is a wiki word) because lol self deprecation.
  • Actually, Incredibly Lame Pun started off as nothing more than a place to pothole puns to, but it's since mutated to that trope. The proposed solution is to make a new "exampleless pothole-only page", and since doing the thing you did before never causes the problem to repeat itself, everything is solved forever.

That, and both of these phrases, as well as "nudge nudge wink wink", can also be used in fiction to refer to describe person A trying to dog-whistle something completely non-sexual (and often non-humorous too) to person B. Which is not the trope.

The phrase "double entendre" isn't exclusively for sexual or humorous things either, though. All three are ways of saying "double meaning" with, I think, roughly the same degree of sexual connotation.

• edited 2011-11-02 19:53:58
    Loser
    glennmagusharvey,
    Well I'm in a rename/split/redefine/revise debate right now, and I'm recalling the rename battles I fought in early 2009 over a number of tropes, the now-infamous "nakama" included.

I guess the fact that I was not really reading TRS back then likely explains why I have a different impression of it than you do. It is probably better if I mostly defer to you here anyway since you seem to have more experience with this subject than I do.

Still, I think Elbeem brings up a good point about how the old guidelines encouraged opposition to renames. Even then, I feel like there are legitimate reasons to discourage the renaming of tropes that seem to be "working." Tropes that have a ton of usage also have a bunch of wicks, so if one wants a rename, someone (or some group of people) are going to need to move all of those wicks. 
    > Memetic Mutation was, originally, of course, about memes taking a quote
    or exchange and mutating it into something different. Sadly, it has
    become basically "Memes". We thought about fixing it, but we decided to
    roll with it. So yeah, technically, there's no misuse there.

Yeah, see, I'd like to see this fixed.

Damnit, you people are giving me more ideas.

> The phrase "double entendre" isn't exclusively for sexual or humorous
    things either, though. All three are ways of saying "double meaning"
    with, I think, roughly the same degree of sexual connotation.

Typically the phrase "double entendre" implies the implication of sexuality*; it's rarely used to mean a situation with a secondary meaning that's not sexual.  Here's a situation where intent becomes an important point:
    * double meaning: the general term.
    * double entendre: a lightly-hidden secondary meaning that at least some (if not all) audience members are expected to get; this secondary meaning is usually sexual in nature (in contrast to a non-sexual primary meaning)
    * dog-whistling: use of a seemingly not very meaningful figure of speech, that only some audience members are expected to get; especially when used in a political context

----

* Yo dawg, I heard you like double entendres, so I put a double entendre into your double entendre.  You'll be seeing more double entendres in the future, if you know what I mean.
  • Just popping in to say Memetic Mutation needs to be put down like a lame dog.

M'kay, bye now.
  • They're somethin' else.
    ^^^^^ MEMECEPT-- *shot*
  • edited 2011-11-03 01:55:31
    Then it should just be a matter of changing the title to something clearer (Which should be a priority).

Wasn't that the entire point of "Lampshaded Double Entendre"?

Tropes that have a ton of usage also have a bunch of wicks, so if one
    wants a rename, someone (or some group of people) are going to need to
    move all of those wicks.

Something else that bugs me. How come nobody can make a bot to edit all the wicks after a rename? There's quite a number of those things on Wikipedia.

Wasn't that the entire point of "Lampshaded Double Entendre"?

It relies on you being aware of TvT jargon. I don't see how is that clearer than, say, "Obvious Double Entendre", which is the real point behind it.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    It isn't even Tv Tropes jargon. The lampshading thing existed before it.
    Really? i mean, yeah, Lampshading comes from Buffy, I know that, but it was more of a one-off thin the producers/writers/someone behind the show said. It's not like the term was popular or even half as known as it is today before TvTropes used it.
  • edited 2011-11-03 15:29:27
    Loser
    Naas_H_Sapiens,
    Something else that bugs me. How come nobody can make a bot to edit all the wicks after a rename? There's quite a number of those things on Wikipedia.

I think that is a really good question. From what I hear some renames actually have been put into place automatically using something like that before, but I do not think it is the normal procedure. I wonder if part of the issue is just how TV Tropes is coded. In any event, I think something like that would definitely save time, especially for the namespace wick moves (i.e. moving every works page from main/Work to the appropriate film/, anime/, VideoGame/, WesternAnimation/ etc. namespace).

If you would like, I could make a thread in Wiki Talk or Tech Wishlist about it or you could do the same.
    Yeah, developing a bot for this would be really nice.  We already do have a wiki software feature to search for all internal links to a given article.  So why not make a bot that automates going to and editing each of those instances?
  • I think it can be done by Eddie, but the few times he's used it the results ended up looking terrible due to the new name not grammatically fitting in sentences the same way the old names did, which means that people were forced to go wick by wick to review and correct the various links regardless.

All in all it seemed like it was more trouble than it's worth.
    Oh, I see.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, when "Libby" was changed to "Alpha Bitch," a find+replace was used and I went through the page, changed some "a"s to "an"s, and redid the example for the trope namer (which, incidentally, read pretty hilariously until I did so).
  • Elbeem,
    I think it can be done by Eddie, but the few times he's used it the results ended up looking terrible due to the new name not grammatically fitting in sentences the same way the old names did, which means that people were forced to go wick by wick to review and correct the various links regardless.

All in all it seemed like it was more trouble than it's worth.

I guess that really is an issue for normal rename and such, but what about wick moves that simply move things from the main to a media namespace? I feel like those would not really run into many of the problems you mentioned (except for works that have multiple different types of media that need to be sorted out I guess).
  • Yeah, off-hand I can't think of any major problems that might come up with that.
  • a little muffled
    @Juan_Carlos: "Hanging a lampshade" is actually established TV writer jargon, though "hanging a lantern" is more common. Those terms come up in commentaries for lots of shows.