If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

How easily distracted I get.

edited 2011-10-26 13:29:36 in Meatspace
[tɕagɛn]

So I started out plans for a Super Robot story a few days ago, and I started writing the first chapter.

Somehow, I started thinking about the fruits of my conworld while doing this (Long story short, the main character's family farms). I then spent about 20 minutes coming up with the Veda, an incredibly strange fruit that bears literally no resemblance to basically any fruit/plant/thing on Earth currently (granted, that's because it basically can't exist IRL, but ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWA).

I thought I was trying to write a Super Robot story (granted, I was having huge amounts of trouble getting the damn exposistion to move on)

Comments

• edited 2011-10-26 15:05:44
    No rainbow star
    ^ Oh god I've been having troubles coming up with unique fruit for my game. So far I've come up with a floating plant that bears large fruit that taste like coffee, but sweeter, and fruit that resembles normal fruit but has a tough exterior that looks like crystal (it's tough as in a bit tougher than orange peels), with a variety of tastes

Also, I know that feel D:
  • I'll tell you about the Veda when I get access to a computer, if you want.
  • Though not in a fruit-specific way, this is basically how my thought process works. It's really frustrating, and I never seem to get anything done because of it.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^ Yes please. It sounds like a neat fruit
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I'd be interested.

Bear in mind that being logically consistent with Earth is far less important than being logically consistent with your setting.
  • Okay.

The Veda is a strange fruit grown in the country of Föro in the story Full Auto. While they are a staple food in Föro, they are basically unknown everywhere else in Techaria and in all of Earth. Vedas are incredibly strange plants, indeed.

First of all, they grow only in lava, as they need to be completely submerged in a liquid...and be kept at temperatures higher than 500 degrees F (Just to clarify, Lava is as common in Föro as water is on Earth). They grow on large vines.

The Veda itself is unlike any fruit on Earth. It looks like a perfect sphere the size of a hand. The outside of it is extremely hard and brittle--for all intents and purposes, the outside of a Veda is glass. Edible glass, but glass none-the-less. It shares some similarities to hard candy.

The interior of a Veda is a liquid. This liquid is often quite delicious and forms a large part of Föro's beverages. It can be taken out by boring a hole in the "skin". At the very center of this core is a single seed, which looks like marble somewhat.

It takes a Veda about 3 weeks to grow into a full vine. However, the longer they are kept underlava, the better they taste, as their flavors become more bold and impressive. To get the best out of a Veda, grow it for around 3 months. After then, it will glow, at which point it will become its greatest.

But, keep a Veda underlava too long, and it will turn black and become incredibly disgusting to the taste, becoming utterly useless. Therefore, growing them is a very careful excercise in knowing when to pick them.

However, if you keep one so long that it becomes a glowing black one....

---

Colors:

Not Vedas are edible. There are many different kinds, all distinguished by color. This is determined completely randomly--in other words, you have no idea what kind you'll get until you pick it. There are genetics involved, but they seem to randomly pick a color and grow with it. The colors are:

Clear: Most common variety. Kind of like a glass apple--sweet, tart, and delicious.

Yellow: Tart and sweet. Like a lemon.

Pink: The sweetest variety. So sweet, in fact, that it can be too much to bear at a time. But, glowing pinks are utterly sublime, their sweetness just right.

Blue: Cool and minty. Like gum, somewhat. A refreshing Veda that cools the throat, they're used to help sore throats.

Sky Blue: Icy. Cold and delicious, but you better prepare for some serious brain freeze when you bite into one. Endure the cold, and you have a delicious snack.

Gray: Utterly tasteless. A "dud", these are basically useless besides being balls for kids to play with.

Orange: Super spicy and hot. A lot better than it sounds.

Purple: Poison. You'll be dead within minutes/hours (depends on the age of the Veda) if you eat one of these.

Red: Explodes on a hard impact. This will easily blow a person into pieces. Do NOT try to eat one.

Glowing Red: Like the Red. Only it also lights the surrounding area on fire as well. A Napalm bomb, basically.

Black: You let it sit for too long. Now it's useless.....

Glowing White:...Unless you truly endure a massive 6-year wait and let it mature into this. This is, without a doubt, the Veda. You will be driven to tears by the utterly delicious taste. I can guarantee it.

---

Fusion: This is probably the strangest feature of the Veda. Putting two vedas of different colors together will caluse them to "fuse"--and then explode. No one is still quite sure why.

Several utterly insane awesome people have used this property to play Veda Tetris. That's as awesome as it sounds.

• No rainbow star
    So it doesn't need water to grow then? Huh

Pretty neat fruit you made Chagen
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > easily distracted

Oh holy hell I know that feel bro.