If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The End of Act 5(Homestuck) crashed Newgrounds

edited 2011-10-25 00:29:07 in Webspace
(void)
Seriously.

For a while it wasn't even responding to pings.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Wow...

Dammit, now I want to see it. Has anyone put it on Youtube or something?
  • IT'S UP NOW? DON'T TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS I HAVEN'T SEEN IT BUT PLEASE TELL ME WHEN IT'S WORKING.
  • You can change. You can.
    It surprises and bother me far more that people didn't see this coming and try to avoid it or something.
  • I think this is the first time a Newgrounds mirror crashed?
    It is?

Anyway, still, Homestuck is a thing followed by many and the End of Act has been widely expected for quite a while. It follows that they should have at least attempted to prevent it from happening. 

Either that or just make it downloadable. 
  • edited 2011-10-25 00:51:04
    (void)
    @Juan_Carlos: They *did* try to avoid it.  They put it on a major Flash site.  It still crashed.

I just finished watching it on NotASenator's livestream, though.  HOLY CRAP IT IS AMAZING
  • edited 2011-10-25 00:55:57
    smote

IT'S UP NOW? DON'T TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS I HAVEN'T SEEN IT BUT PLEASE TELL ME WHEN IT'S WORKING.

This.

Ponicalica, can you pass us a link to that, or does the "live" bit indicate it's over?

• As I understand it the Newgrounds mirror was part of that attempt. I think he also has a new server that can handle more than the previous one could, which had in the past alleviated some of the problems from this nonsense.

But in any case I can't complain because:

1. Hussie is an artist more than a computer guy.
    2. His fans are fucking nuts.
    3. This is likely to be resolved within a day.

But above all:

4. It's fucking free.
  • @Protega He's rerunning it, so you'll probably be caught in the middle(it's a 13-minute-long animation): http://www.livestream.com/notasenator
  • 13 minutes what the fuck.

I knew it was going to be big and I've learned that a lot can be expected from this guy, but hot damn.
  • Keep in mind the hiatus lasted two months.
  • How many fans this comic have, anyway? That is truly staggering.
    It has a big enough fanbase to be one of those webcomics that you can sorta discuss with people out of the internet, I suppose.

make of that what you will.
  • Poni: thanks for the link. I wish there was some way to tell what point it was at without looking into it, though, since I'd rather wait a bit than miss anything.
  • Ah, here we go. Skip to four minutes in.

yessssssss.

• What just happened?

This is what happens when this is the first time you watch Homestuck anything.
  • Hoo boy, you've a long way to go.

Reading everthing starting from the beginning is really the only proper way to enjoy and understand Homestuck. And even then there's stuff you miss.
  • Gelzo...I have a life I must live.
  • Having a life and reading Homestuck are not mutually exclusive. It's not like you have to read it all at once. People read larger novels all the time, and I think the amount of content is roughly similar.
  • edited 2011-10-25 02:07:12
    (void)
    It's just on the Internet, spawner of much pseudo-ADD.
    ^^Act Five Act One, in word-count alone, was the length of an average novel.
  • Hm. I guess that would mean reading Homestuck is now the equivalent of reading a fantasy book trilogy or something.

Nah, I'd say it's significantly longer than that.

Anyway, the EOA was pretty awesome.
  • The hell? I can't get the download to work.
  • Isn't act five more than half the comic or something?
  • edited 2011-10-25 02:23:53
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Yes, but Act Five Act Two is longer than Act Five Act One, which was novel-length if you ignore everything but the text. So I'd say Homestuck in total is probably novel-length-times-five or so. Maybe more.

Of course, we've got two more acts coming...
  • Uhhhhh... EVERYONE DIED.
  • edited 2011-10-25 02:23:36
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    -nevermind-
  • Fuck. Label your spoilers.
    I don't think that's true. [The kids are all fine, as far as I can tell.]