If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

PC games?!

edited 2011-10-21 00:30:09 in General
$80+ per session
Recommend them to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines!

It's a really great RPG where until the end not fighting is a genuine way to get through the game. It's also only $20 on steam and if you've gotten a PC since 2006 you can definitely run it!
  • $80+ per session
    What's it like malk?
  • edited 2011-10-21 00:37:07
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast and its sequel Jedi Academy. Both are outdated and very very fun. The first is sorta Nintendo Hard, though.

Mount and Blade, any version really. Warbands is probably a great place to start.

Dawn of War, 1 and 2. Fun, streamlined RTS games.

Neverwinter Nights is an old classic. The more recent equivalent would be the Dragon Age games. Play the first Dragon Age first, though. Similarly, Mass Effect. Both are fun.

Shogun 2: Total War is good times.

Also

> Malk
    > Vampire

howdidinotseethiscoming.jpg
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Team Fortress 2.

Let's get that one out of the way.
  • edited 2011-10-21 00:39:50
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Deus Ex.

One of the best PC games I've played, and possibly the best.
  • edited 2011-10-21 00:40:34
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Vivi: It's an RPG in the true sense of the word. Until the very end you have multiple ways to solve problems, be they talking, sneaking, or hitting shit till it breaks. There are a lot of colorful characters to interact with, and the plot is pretty engaging. There's a lot to do, and it gives a good idea of the world of darkness as a darkly twisted world of our own with monsters looming in the area.

Also, the werewolf boss fight is pretty great if tough to figure out.

Alex: Yeah, how did you not?

^Second this, actually. Is it on steam?
  • You can change. You can.
    System Shock II and Bioshock by probably one of the few legitimate auteurs when it comes to videogames, Ken Levine.
  • edited 2011-10-21 00:44:24
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^^^+ Human Revolution if your comp can play it. Skip Invisible War.

Here's more stuff I thought was good (going down my Steam Library mostly):

The Binding of Issac
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Fallout 3
    Fallout: New Vegas
    Fallout 1-2 as well
    Half-Life 1-2
    Plants Vs Zombies
    Quake
    Recettear
    Knights of the Old Republic
    Starcraft 1-2
    Warcraft III
    Torchlight
    Diablo 2
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Bear in mind, Vampire is apparently buggy as shit.

By the same token, play the Knights of the Old Republic games at your own risk. They're great, but sort of technically broken on newer machines.
    ^Yeah, you need a patch to run it on Windows 7, but fortunately it has great fan support and the patch works fantastic, not to mention all the cool mods out there. There's currently a group working on a mod adding extra clans.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Human Revolution is good, but I'd play the original first. It's cheaper, it has about twice as much content, it handles the moral question it asks better and you'll get a lot of little references in Human Revolution.
    ^And it's more of an RPG than Human revolution, which has less content overall.
  • You can change. You can.
    Speaking of, System Shock II is better and bigger than Bioshock.

I'd recommend the first one too, were it not because it's kind of a bitch to play on modern computers. At least, from my attempts at doing so, anyway. Still, it's definetly an interesting take on the old FPS like Doom and Wolfenstein if a bit too outdated in times.

• edited 2011-10-21 00:54:46
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Hold on here, before we start using RPG-ness as a measure of quality. Shouldn't we ask what kinds of games Vivi is looking for?
    Fair enough, but if she doesn't like RPG-ness it will still be useful information.
  • $80+ per session
    I like RPGs that aren't turn based. I like 3D stuff and games that have customization and maybe a good modding community.

My computer isn't very good and usually meets the minimum requirements. But it has surprised me. It plays Fallout 3 well.
  • If you have not played them already both Morrowind and Oblivion.
  • edited 2011-10-21 11:51:28
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Let's see...

Anvil of Dawn
    Age of Empires (1, 2, 3, Kings, Conquerors, Mythology, etc.)
    Cave Story
    Eden Eternal
    Final Vision
    Gang Garrison 2
    Guardian of Paradise
    Grid Wars 5.4
    Holdover
    La-Mulana
    Legend of Princess
    Reader Rabbit
    Return of Egypt
    Spelunky
    And Yet It Moves
    Recettear: an Item Shop's Tale
    Team Fortress 2
    StepMania
    Tower of Heaven
    Verge
    Warning Forever
    Worms (Armageddon, World Party)

Recommend them to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    "Miss Recette, sell things at meee!"
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Fallout 3 is...strange. It won't run on my current computer no matter what I try, but I can still play Fallout: New Vegas (albeit really shitty).
  • edited 2011-10-21 12:51:32
    But you never had any to begin with.
    New Vegas is better optimised than Fallout 3.
    I like RPGs that aren't turn based. I like 3D stuff and games that have customization and maybe a good modding community.
    Again, Deus Ex.

It fits everything there (well, I dunno about the modding community. I've heard of a few big-name mods for it, though). And it's really cheap these days and should run on any modern system.
  • No rainbow star
    "I like RPGs that aren't turn based. I like 3D stuff and games that have customization and maybe a good modding community."

It may not be an RPG, but Minecraft has customization and a strong modding community (heck, I think there's several mods that turn minecraft into a non turn based RPG)
    Minecraft's going RPG on its final release on November 18.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ It doesn't have stats though, or quests

...Although it does have critical hits, a storyline of sorts (at least, one is developing, anyways), potions...

Also, Notch and Jeb are still going to update Minecraft after release, so I wouldn't call this the final release
    It will have stats as of release. What did you think those XP orbs they added in 1.8 were for?

And quests are hardly a requirement for being an RPG, unless by RPG, you mean "WoW clone."
  • No rainbow star
    ^ But every rpg I know of has at least a couple sidequests

Also, the experiece is used for enchantments
  • edited 2011-10-21 14:14:02
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    That doesn't make it a requirement of the genre.

As for skill points:http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Experience#Experience_Level_and_Skill_Points
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    > RPGs that aren't turn-based

Mount and Blade is this. It can be pretty punishing, though.
  • Battlestations Midway.
    Battlestations Pacific.

Both are Real Time Tactics games.

• $80+ per session
    What Malk said in the Update thread about playing Vampire with Juan is what makes me want to play the game I think.