If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

British Slang

edited 2011-10-10 22:08:13 in IJAM
No rainbow star

Comments

• edited 2011-10-10 22:34:31
    Give them pleasure - the same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.

I love you Ica. You are, in fact, Ace.

But not as much as Vivi.

...want me to help make you into a prince...? >:3
  • $80+ per session
    Yasu!
  • No rainbow star
    ^^ Meep? How would you make me into a prince?
  • Give them pleasure - the same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.
    The same way that boys are made into men...
  • ...Circumcision?
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    That slang list.

Half of the things on there you aren't likely to hear as they are either falling out of use, or weren't used that widely either.
  • edited 2011-10-11 06:35:04
    No rainbow star
    ^ Then could you provide an updated list? I'm trying to make a British English RP character based off of the list, so of course using outdated terms may cause me getting called out if I ever use the character around someone from England (And suddenly I remember British people on another forum throwing a hissy fit whenever a person used British just to refer to those from England)
  • Give them pleasure - the same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.
    OLD British slang? That's even more ace than up-to-date slang!!

I'm chuffed to bits about this! :D
  • It's a long time since "ace" was used to say something was good, unironically. I remember it being big in the late 80s, but then so was Rick Astley.  
    @Icalasari

It depends what slang you want the person to have?

Bare slang from London bruv, innit?

Or you might just use more common ones like bloke/mate/bugger/knackered etc.
  • ^ It always amuses me to hear kids in London refer to the police as "the feds" when the UK is notably free of law enforcement bodies with "Federal" in the title.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I'm quite fond of "squire". As in, "Got a smoke, squire?". Always makes me smile. A lot of Pratchett and Hellblazer will do that.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^^ Well they are in their late 20's/early 30's and hail from London, so London slang appropriate to him
    ^^^
    Indeed also:
    'the 5-0.'

^
    Hmm so we'll go with not the street slang then.

What slang have you got them down for using if at all so far?
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Bugger, bloody... I've been playing it safe so far (although I couldn't resist having him use fit bird, since it is a character in an anthropomorphic rp and seeing as how one of the characters is a bird, it was just too perfect not to use)

I also had him use blow me just for a one off joke
    What are the social situations like for the characters, class etc?

Bugger is pretty easy and fine with additional variations (bugger all, bugger that etc)
    You might want to be a bit more sparing with bloody depending on the character background.

I'd suggest mate as another term that would be good usage.
    'out with the mates' 'All right mate' etc etc.

(Also if they are drinking are they drinking in pubs or bars?)
  • No rainbow star
    ^ I'm not much of a drinker, so what's the difference between pubs and bars?

Middle class, he thinks he is good with women but he has a few problems (not really severe, just more or less cases where he would go, "What did I do now?"). Single, a (bad) detective by trade, can be a bit crude at times (more so when surprised by something), and is a bit insecure in his masculinity (to the point where if somebody accused him of being gay, even as a joke, he'd grab the nearest woman and kiss them before getting beaten up by said woman)
    Pubs tend to be relaxed drinking environments for chatting and of course drinking. (Usually nicer although I'm biased.)
    Bars may have that however they also might be fancy(wine bars and the like) and/or have a dance floor.

I'd question the gay insecurity thing, it isn't hugely common over here.
    Depending on the peer groups gay is commonly used as a mild insult, also 'gaying up*' is pretty common among men too. (* fake gay sex miming with mates,, jovial comments about bumming each other/wanting to bum each other.)

'Middle class' is ok for slang really.
    Some of the more suitable ones from that link are (cherry picking most of them):
    Bollocks.
    Bender
    Chuffed
    Chat up.
    cock up/balls up
    fag - cigarette
    quid
    slag
    strop
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Don't forget "tits up".
  • No rainbow star
    ^^ Ah. I'll take that part out of his character then

Thanks for the help there, by the way