If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Misanthropes

edited 2011-03-07 16:19:01 in Philosophy
Pony Sleuth
It bothers me when people assume the worst of others. Well, no. That's not true. I'm fine with people assuming the worst so long as it doesn't cause them to be openly hostile. You shouldn't be a dick to people just because you anticipate people being dicks to you. That's just as counterproductive as it can get.

I believe that people aren't all that different on a fundamental level of psychology. Misanthropes I've seen seem to act as though they think everyone is worse than them, or are people who are negative about everyone including themselves and make no effort to improve themselves. From my perspective it's indicative of a severe misunderstanding of humanity.

Things can't be perfect, and the fact that these people object so much to the failings of humanity really ought to motivate them to make a difference. You should try to fix something if you don't like it. And if humanity is worthless and deserves punishment because of the suffering it inflicts on itself, why is the suffering objectionable?

Nietzsche said that if there is something to pardon in everything, there is also something to condemn. I don't see why something like the reverse can't be just as true.

This next part is something I wanted to post on the 4chan thread before it got locked. It might have lost context, but I want it to be kept somewhere.

"[wmg]Ukonkivi mad[wmg]

Being offended isn't a bad thing, but it isn't a good thing either. The issue is when you develop a fixation on what is offensive to you and spend your time screaming at people you can easily avoid.

I don't like gore, I don't like death, I don't like racism, and I can understand that some people would not enjoy jokes about sensitive topics, even though I sometimes do. Sometimes it's just a way for people to cope, no different from Pinkie Pie's No Fear song. Taste alone doesn't make someone an evil person.

No one needs to conform to anything, it's just important to tolerate different perspectives if they're ones that do no harm."

Comments

• I believe not in selfish misanthropy, but unified misanthropy.

Humanity as a whole should be the worst fucking beings as they possibly can. While the idea of "worst" is subjective, both sides can debate and kill one another until either side proves the other is, infact, the wrong side. the more sides that branch apart, the more humanity evolves into greater fields. Some want to come up with more clever and unforgiveable methods of killing each other, some want to run away from the fighting because they cannot handle this world no longer. Some want to step above others and watch the chaos from above, while other seek to delve deeper and peer into the skies, looking up to the ones up high in a belittling fashion. Eventually all will evolve in time where we become the perfect race, where even nature and time cannot defy us.
  • That'd be a lot of wasted resources and reduced quality of life. Besides, I think we're at the point where technological developments can have a greater impact on human biology than evolution.

But maybe you weren't being serious.
  • am I ever serious Gelzo? :|
  • edited 2012-07-22 16:44:51

• Because you never know what you might see.
    >You shouldn't be a dick to people just because you anticipate people being dicks to you.

Sounds like it would be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I can't really take misanthropy seriously.  All the worst things I know of people doing involve being horrible to other people.  If I hated humanity, I'd stop caring altogether.

I guess in that sense, it's possibly a defence mechanism for some people.