If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya's DVD episode ordering

edited 2011-10-09 17:39:36 in Media

(yes, I'm like 5 years too late for complaining about this. But I just watched it in TV order last week and realized how much better it is, so...)

...does not really make any sense.  For those who are unaware (though I'm not sure how many people would have clicked on this topic if they didn't know), the series was originally broadcast with the episodes not taking place in chronological order.  For the DVD release, the episodes were (mostly) changed to chronological order (with the only exception being that the first TV episode was also the first DVD episode, despite taking place much later chronologically).  Anyway, the problem is that the show was clearly made to be watched in the order it was broadcast, and as such the series is paced in such a way that the entire plot is resolved by the 7th DVD episode (with an appropriately last-episode-feeling episode), leaving what is essentially filler for the whole second half (usually entertaining filler, but still), including having the most boring episode of the show as the final episode.  Before I actually watched it in broadcast order (the first two times I watched the series were in DVD order) I had thought that perhaps the broadcast order was confusing or whatever, but now having watched it I realize that they do generally show the episodes in such a way that none of them really rely on having any knowledge of episodes that you haven't seen yet (and the ones that could make a point to make it really obvious what happened anyway).  So, um... yeah.  Why would the producers of the show intentionally release the DVDs with episodes out of order?

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    the show was clearly made to be watched in the order it was broadcast
    Umm...have you read the books?
  • edited 2011-10-09 17:48:35
    Doesn't matter.  Books (and especially book series) have different requirements and expectations than a TV series, particularly a 1-cour series like the first season of Haruhi.  It's clear from the way the anime is structured that the episodes were made to be watched in the order they were broadcast on TV, whether that lines up with the events of the books or not.
  • The books are in anachronic order, but the first one (The Melancholy) does cover events that went on to be the main plot of the first series of the anime in chronological order.  So, um...

...I'm not sure if I'm making a point here or not.  Um... Hmmm.
  • It's almost a non-issue because the people that are big enough fans to care about this will probably figure out what order they want to watch it in anyway.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Just pretend that Disappearance is the climax or something, cuz that's awesome enough for two seasons of Haruhi.

Also, when I watched the first season of Haruhi, I didn't know it was supposed to be seen in anachronistic order, and I still really liked it. -shrug-
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I guess Disappearance could count as a satisfactory end but I'd be disappointed if that happened. Of course considering the Aya Hirano drama...
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Yeah... I really want more Haruhi animus, but is that really a possibility at this point?
    I think she's still got the contract to play Haruhi but in that case KyoAni might just not make any more Haruhi.

I really hope that's not the case. I want to see the anti SOS brigade.
    Wait, according to this I guess she's back to VAing new stuff, as opposed to just stuff that was ongoing.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-08-27/aya-hirano-returns-to-voice-acting-on-new-works-again
    Oh, well then I suppose there's hope after all.

Don't leave us hanging, KyoAni!
  • edited 2011-10-10 12:12:15
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    -crosses fingers-

I should probably actually read the novels sometime.
  • Also, when I watched the first season of Haruhi, I didn't know it was supposed to be seen in anachronistic order, and I still really liked it. -shrug-

Oh, me too.  It's just that after watching it in the TV order recently, I've realized how much better the show is that way.  Of course, if you're watching both seasons and the movie anyway, then sure, watch it in 2009 TV order, since that makes the most sense.

• a little muffled
    I haven't seen the first season in broadcast order; I might do so if I ever feel like rewatching just the first.

If you're watching it in DVD order, it's best to binge the first half and then watch the rest one at a time imo.