If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Video game copyright on Youtube

edited 2011-10-05 16:49:35 in General
I do get kind of pissed when I can't watch the walkthroughs of my favourite games just because mere footage has become copyrighted and unauthorized uploading is considered piracy, but really I want to know what you guys think. Does Youtube or the video game companies have the right to removed walkthroughs of video games, even if they're just playthroughs and not the actually games themselves?

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Hmmm I'd say they do. It's their intellectual property after all, and they should have control over it.

That said, it's still kind of dickish.
  • Legally, yes they do have the right, but I don't really think they should have such a right.  Owning intellectual property shouldn't mean you get full control over every single thing related to it.
    Well, there are things you should do but that doesn't mean they should be law. You shouldn't talk about how the Holocaust didn't happen, for example, but it shouldn't be a law not to.
  • You can change. You can.
    ^Wait, that's a law?
    No, I was just using it as example.
    Oh, gotcha. continue your soon-to-be circular argument about copyright, then.
  • Legally, yes they do have the right, but I don't really think they should have such a right. Owning intellectual property shouldn't mean you get full control over every single thing related to it.
    Agreed.
  • No rainbow star
    I know that if I ever got a successful game going, I would be tempted to do things like a walkthrough of my own game or a wiki under a pseudonym so that if the legal team ever tried a cease and desist, I could call them out on being trigger happy
    Well, that would presume that you and not the publishers have licensing rights.

Which doesn't happen as often as it should.
  • edited 2011-10-05 17:43:38
    No rainbow star
    ^ I'm going to be careful with my game and try to maintain majority ownership over it if at all possible

If only because I don't want to have my game published and changed from a monster capture/rpg/rts to, say, an FPS with platformer elements
  • ^Wait, that's a law?

It's a law in most of Europe actually.

There's explicit Holocaust Denial laws in Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Israel, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, and Switzerland.
    ^Not in Eagleland, though. Partly because of our distance overall from the war as anything other than glorious and partly because of our constitutional protection of assholes.
    Yeah, I knew it was a law in Europe, but I thought it was a law in America going by Malk's post.