If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Those mean authority figures!"

edited 2011-10-02 08:17:35 in General

Inspired by various threads in which people have complained about their parents/teachers/college authorities/the mods on other sites.

I don't have a problem with this as such, but I do think sometimes we fall into the trap of assuming that authority figures are doing things we don't like because they are nasty people who hate us/don't want anyone to have fun. I think this is a bit childish, to be honest, because even if they are wrong and mistaken, most people in authority aren't bad and usually have reasons for what they do, even if on analysis they're weak ones. Obviously, you do get some who are just nasty - genuinely abusive parents, or whatever - but not the majority.

It reminds me of my time at university, when the Senior Tutor of the college was basically blamed by the students for everything that we didn't like, and specifically for creating a highly-pressurised, "all work no play" kind of atmosphere. He was responsible for some stupid policies - the college bar used to shut at a ridiculously early time, for instance - but in retrospect I can see he was under pressure to make the place as academically successful as possible and that there were politics going on behind the scenes. Also, we could have done more ourselves, as adults, to deal with the stress we were under.

I think we are right to criticise authority figures if we think they're wrong, but should also make an effort to see things from their point of view before just condemning them outright.  

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I have thought this for a long time.
  • ^I wonder why.
  • I used to just accept authority all the time. I challenge it a lot more now, based on my own judgement and moral compass. Which, pretentious as it sounds, is rather good. Most of the time. Helps that I usually try to look at all viewpoints.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-10-02 11:09:41
    Seems fairly right to me. It's why I always tend to be a bit skeptical when people complain about their parents. Naturally, there are many many exceptions to the rule, but the answer to slightly strict parents is not "try to see if you can get out of their custody."
  • edited 2011-10-02 11:24:16

"but the answer to slightly strict parents is not "try to see if you can get out of their custody.""

...THANK you.

• ^^ Yes, I think that there are some wild over-reactions to parents acting fairly normally, although to be fair, the teenager who reacts to any attempt to enforce rules by screaming "I hate you! I wish you were dead!" and storming off to their bedroom pre-dates the internet by a long way.

Before someone accuses me of being an old meanie myself, I'd better add that adults can behave this way too. I have been known to sit around with my colleagues moaning about our awful management without really taking into account the limitations they operate under (e.g. they can't give us a payrise because the Government won't let them, and so on).

• Abyss: Whooh! I'm smart! You're Welcome!
  • Seriously, I've seen so much bad advice on this forum in regards to parents that your post was a huge sigh of relief.
  • Meh, I usually tune out whenever someone complains about authority figures, since bros need to vent and it's an easy thing to pick on. There's a difference between cathartic whining and dweebs who refuse to take blame or responsibility for anything.

• edited 2011-10-02 13:51:53
    Loser
    captainbrass,
    I think we are right to criticise authority figures if we think they're
    wrong, but should also make an effort to see things from their point of view before just condemning them outright. 

I think you are totally right about that and I would extend that statement to apply to basically anyone who seems to be the scapegoat or the "acceptable target". Often times, I believe that people are under the pressure of conflicting interests and needs and while that certainly does not excuse bad behavior, I do feel like it suggests that people need to step back a bit and give people some slack. I mean, I would be hard-pressed to find people who are really totally evil and just want to ruin people's days anyway.

AHR,
    Seems fairly right to me. It's why I always tend to be a bit skeptical when people complain about their parents. Naturally, there are many many exceptions to the rule, but the answer to slightly strict parents is not "try to see if you can get out of their custody."

I agree. I think another side-effect of that kind of attitude is that it becomes significantly harder for people who actually do need help in that department (i.e. people who do have legitimately abusive parents and the like) to get the attention and/or help they need since other people may just believe they are just angsty teenagers complaining about their parents on the internet.

It is not necessarily on topic, so maybe it would be worth discussing in another thread, but I think the problem you pointed out is kind of linked to some of the issues with giving people advice over the internet in general.